Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

Chrysler Pacifica Touring: My 2006 cheysler pacifia stalled

Customer Question

My 2006 cheysler pacifia stalled and will not start now but does crank
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. How many miles on the vehicle? Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

160×××

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Was the timing belt replaced at 100,000 miles?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not know

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the reason I ask that is because if the belt was not replaced and just now broke, then that will cause a stall out and no start. The other things it may be is 1 a failed crankshaft position sensor, a failed camshaft position sensor or a failed PCM (engine computer). What I recommend is to get the vehicle to a shop (tow it) and ask them to connect their scan tool up and check for any trouble codes that would indicate a failed cam and/or crank sensor. At that point the PCM and timing belt can be checked. Checking the codes is the best way to start the diagnostic process. If you do not want to have it towed, then see if you can rent a scan tool and check the codes yourself. Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The timing belt was fine i cant locate the sensors

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok good. The cam sensor is next to the front cam sprocket. The crank sensor is mounted on the back of the engine block near the transmission bell housing. Look closely you will find it.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are those the only other two problems that couldve caused it

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Well Mitch, based on the symptoms, yes. However, the problem could be a failing fuel pump. Do you have a scan tool to check for any codes?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No i plan on getting one soon

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok well maybe you can rent one and just check for any codes that may be related. Might be a good idea.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there anyway to know which fuel pump is bad on this car it has four different options from what the auto part store say if it turns out to not be the sensors

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Mitch whenever I have fuel pump issues on a Pacifica, I always replace both pumps. There is one in the left side of the tank, and one in the right side.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

K also a problem j had is wen i pumped gas it would stop like it was full after only pumping about 2 gallons and the tank would empty out.out of nowhere would that have anything to do with why it stalled

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
It is possible Mitch. I have seen this before and the problem is the fuel tank itself. Since you may have to replace the pumps, you might want to consider replacing the fuel tank at that time. Because the tank has to come out anyway in order to replace the fuel pumps.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mitch, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ya i had bought the sensors i just havent had time to put them in to see if that was the problem it was cheap for them so i figured if there not bad at least they will be new

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha. Well let me know when you get them in and if that was it. If not I will continue to help you,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put th sensors in and replaced ground still no luck

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Do you have fuel pressure now?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Whats the easiest way to check that

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Well the correct way is to rent a fuel pressure gauge and and adapter (if needed) and connect it to the fuel line or fuel rail and read the pressure while cranking the engine. The pressure should be around 48 to 50 PSI. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge from your auto parts store.
Chris