sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo Conv: I was attempting to refill

Customer Question

I was attempting to refill my ac coolant a 2005 GT TURBO CONV PT CRUISER, but the pressure gauge did not stay constant. The needle will rise to the optimum pressure, but then it drops to the bottom and then rises again. Do you know what might be happening?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! If you're charging with a gauge set and seeing the needle moving up and down while charging then you're almost surely seeing the compressor cycle. When the compressor engages the low side pressure will drop and when it disengages then the gauge will come back up. As a general rule of thumb you should see roughly the same pressure in the system with the engine not running as the ambient temperature. For instance if it's 70 degrees under the hood you should see close to 70 PSI without the compressor running.
It sounds as if your system is still undercharged if the only time pressure s high enough is with the compressor not running.