Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Chrysler Sebring (Convertible): Parasitic draw on battery,

Customer Question

Parasitic draw on battery, fuse 11, 2004 chrysler sebring convertible. Changes stop lamps, brake switch. Wait 30 minutes to evaluate stays with continous draw. removed all relays and replaced, no change. HELP!
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
How exactly are you testing for a draw?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ammeter btx ground wire to battery and frame stud
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Does this have the 3.0 or 2.7?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.7
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
OK, remove that fuse #11 and place the ammeter there in it's socket, get a reading, then start disconnecting everything on fuse #11's circuit until the draw gets below 50mA, then find and repair the short in whichever branch it was. Do you need a wiring diagram?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
absolutely, i do not know what else is connected at fuse 11
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Is this the fuse #11, a 20a fuse in the power distribution center?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a road map to connectors to disconnect be nice too!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Fuse #11 feeds fuse #5 in the junction block, so remove that fuse and see what happens.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
here, too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuse 5 out 0 draw
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Well then, it's on that fuse #5's branch circuit. As you can see there are alot of items to disconnect. What I would do even before that is put the fuse back in and see if anything listed in that wiring diagram that fuse #5 feeds don't work. That might give you a clue as to what to disconnect first.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I've got to cut the grass, so I'll check back in on you in just a while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't see fuse 5 on fuse block, only got one page
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I said junction block. I sent 2 wiring diagrams.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Here they are again,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ment junction block. Check relays and pulled each fuse no change in draw. Disconnected as many as i could find connectors to seats and interior lighting. running out of place with out dismantling dash and center console
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I will pull radio and disconnect. I am done for today. Any way to contact you tomorrow once I do radio and center console to computer unit under arm rest?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got your send diagram and have most of those disconnected. still drawing 7 - 8 amps
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
At first you said you pulled the fuse #5 and no draw and then you said you cannot even find fuse #5. What is going on here?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
What relays are you pulling and why? I don't see any relays on that fuse #5 circuit.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Why didn't you put the fuse back in and see whatever isn't working first?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
yeah, 7-8 amps is alot, that battery would most likely go dead overnite.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry with ammeter on fuse 11 under hood, had draw. removed fuse 5 from interior fuse block. ammeter zeroed. put in 5 and ammeter went back up. I individually remove each fuse from interior fuse block without change in ammeter. checked each relay in interior fuse block each works. I have disconnected interior lights and dis connected as many connectors with out change in draw.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking at doing radio in morning.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
That is not what I asked.I asked what relays and why when there are no relays on that fuse #5 circuit?Why didn't you see what wasn't working first with the fuse in?Once you narrowed it down to fuse #5, don't do anything else except working on fuse #5 circuit. So, I don't know why you started pulling any relays, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
every thing in car works fine. Door locks, interior lights, exterior lights, wipers, horn, blinkers, etc., etc., looking at control modules?! can they be checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light or codes on computer.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light is for the engine usually. It may light up for other things since this most likely has a bcm, too but it won't light or store any codes for a battery drain. You just have to continue disconnecting everything in that wiring diagram on that fuse #5's circuit, until the ammeter shows less than 50mA or actually 0mA since it does show that with that fuse removed and the ammeter in fuse 11 socket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will continue tomorrow, going to get some chow!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Find the problem yet?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Did you find the battery draw and fix it yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. I have pulled the junction block from inside car. Disconnected all connections until I found the wire that maxed ammeter out. On a grey connector a pink/blue wire. There are 10 wires connector to the connector. How do i find where this wire goes?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
If it's a pink/dark blue and on that fuse #5 circuit, then from looking at the wiring diagram I gave you, it goes from pin 13 connector c5 of the fuse block to the s211 splice, then it branches out to 4 pink wires and goes to the compass computer, data link connector, radio, auto temp control head.
Look at that second diagram, http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/heavy_chevy_396/c1726bea-10b4-4fee-965a-7d6d6e456411_va180466.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Radio disconnected. Where is Automatic temperature control head? I have to get deeper in dash to disconect compass/ mini-trip computer. Where does data link connector go?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Duh, got to get my brain checked. DLC is where I hook up computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unplugged compass, radio removed temp control head, still pegs.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The data link connector is the dlc, where you plug in a code reader.
What still pegs? Do have have an actual reading and where do you have this ammeter hooked?