George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Chrysler Sebring Conv.: Have 2005 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Customer Question

Have 2005 Chrysler Sebring convertible 76,000 mi. Both front tires wore out fast, 10,000 mi. or less. Had new tires put on the front end. When I was talking to tire dealer, he said I may have a problem with the rear suspension. How would I determine if this alignment or rear end suspension?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, If the car is pout on an alignment machine it can be checked for suspension wear as part of the alignment (should be part of the alignment procedure) and the machine readings will show where the tire wear is coming from. The alignment will show "thrust angle" which should be as close to 0 degrees as possible. That is the angle between where the rear wheels are pointed and where the front wheels are pointed. If the rears are a couple of degrees off from the front then it has a condition called "dog tracking" that looks like a dog that has its rear legs pushing in a different direction that its fronts while running.The answer to all this is get the car aligned at an independent shop that specializes in alignments and then you will know if it can be adjusted out or if suspension work needs to be done before it can be aligned properly. Please let me know how I can help you with your question Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should I have just a front-end alignment or 4 wheel alignment?

If it is the rear end problem what is exactly is it and what is required to fix?

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
There is only one kind of alignment any longer and that is to align the whole vehicle. Anyone selling front end alignments needs to get out of the business as they are about 30 years behind the times. Like offering to "tune up" the engine rather than addressing drivability concerns. I can't tell from here if the rear wheels are out of alignment or if there is a worn bushing or bent control arm. That is what we use the percise measurements the alignment machine can make to help determine the problem. You want to stay out of the chain stores, they work on volume and that does not give the tech enough time to evaluate and adjust the vehicle into the best alignment. Once it goes up on the rack, the suspension is inspected and the initial readings are taken then the tech can either adjust to specification or suggest needed repairs to the suspension. Let me know how I can help Thank you