Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chrylser PT Cruiser: Car won't start with camshaft plugged

Customer Question

Car won't start with camshaft plugged in?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car will start with the camshaft unplugged and pressing the gas. It will stay running. I can plug the camshaft back in and it will continue to run. I'll shut it off and try to start it again (camshaft plugged in) and it won't start. Unplug and it will start.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** do my best to assist youdid the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but only P0340 which would make sense since the camshaft was disconnected. With it plugged (just tried) it does want to start but it can't keep it going. I tried to start it while pressing the gas and it did a little better but still died. I'm charging the battery now as I think trying again and again might have weakened it.
did you replace the cam sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, twice. First was a Valucraft, then a Mopar one.
does it run really bad with and without the cam sensor plugged up?tell me how and when the problem first happenedthanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just a rough startup but runs okay. I haven't put in drive yet though. I had finished putting the head in. Plugged everything back up and it wouldn't start. The spark plugs had no spark. I realized the the cam sensor and coil plugs were swapped. I put them in their correct place and now it had spark but this problem started.
okso,you replaced the head?timing belt?..why was the head off..please explain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The head gasket was bad, replaced the head as well. I wasn't sure if the head was cracked so I replaced it to be safe (I did verify the casting number).
ok..sense you still get a 340 code..i think you may have it a notch out on the timing belt..are you sure the belt is right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I think I'm only getting the 340 code because it is unplugged. The timing belt was a Goodyear (Part No. Cd-265). All the marks seemed to be lined up like the way it shows on AllData.
how long did you let it run?..did you let it run long enough for the lifters to self adjust?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe just 5 minutes if that.
ok..lets start it and let it run a little while,tosee if it straightens out,,if it still does this,im going to think it may be a notch out on the belt and you may need to recheck it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please say yes if I'm correct
Start it with the camshaft unplugged.
Plug it back in and leave it running for let's say 15 minutes.
yes..but,keep an eye on the tempeture,,you may need to add coolant as the air bleeds out of the cooling system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just an update. Car has been running for for 15 minutes. Has not overheated, coolant was full. I'm going to wait another 5-10 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, no other codes. I can't clear the 340 while its started so I'll do that in a little bit when I do turn it off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more update: It runs very smooth, still haven't drove it as the alternator, power steering, etc. is not connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work. With the camshaft sensor plugged in I can start it while pressing the gas and keep it alive but same pressing the gas but it runs VERY rough.
hisorry i missed you,,i was off linei think you may need to re-check your timing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it again in the morning and attach pictures.
ok..that will be finethanks