Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)

Engine will start and immediately stop - within 1 or 2 seconds. Does not seem to matter i

Engine will start and immediately stop - within 1 or 2 seconds. Does not seem to matter if hot or cold. Have changed fuel pump - did not help. HELP ! ! Oops ! forgot to say: 2004 Chrysler T & C, 3.3L engine w/ air + +.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name isXXXXX will be helping you today with your question today...

I'm a 15 Yr Chrysler dealership technician and is there a red light on in the dash?

Brad
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes, a small one just above the ?? on right side of instrument panel. It comes on sometimes but does not stay on. Sometimes the engine will stop regardless of whether or not the small (1/4") red dot is on or off.

Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.
John,

The red light is the security light.. If it's starting and stalling within 2-3 seconds then it sounds like you have a security issue.. Can you have the codes in the SKIM which is the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module scanned and post them here? Could be a faulty module or key...

Keep me posted,
Brad
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you. I do not know where to find the SKIM to scan it. Is that something that I have to take to the dealer or can I find it on the print-out of the vehicle with all of the factory installed equipment? I believe that I have that document.

I did try to start the engine with both keys that we have and no 'joy'. So, I believe it may not be in the key as it would have to be in both keys which seems unlikely.

Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.
John,

You will need a scantool comparable to the DRBIII which I use at dealership to retrieve the SKIM codes.. Since both keys are doing the same thing it's likely the SKIM itself is faulty..

Keep me posted,
Brad
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks very much. Any idea where I can find the DRBIII tool? Do I have to go to the dealer to get this done? I try to do a lot of this DIY re my autos myself and would be happy (well, maybe not ! !) to change the SKIM if I can determine that is the cause. Please advise where to go or do to get you the SKIM. Thanks.

Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.
John,

You are very welcome!!!

And to be honest you can purchase the DRBIII HERE, but it's better if you just go ahead and have the dealership diag it as it will cost under$100 to diag it and the tool is $2,995. So you be the judge.. Also if you do need a new SKIM module it will need to be programmed with the DRBIII in order to work on your vehicle.. If you do need a SKIM, you will need to purchase the SKIM from the dealership..

I hope this helps, and if you need anymore assistance don't hesistate to ask
Brad
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

o.k. - and one last Q: Should the dealer be able to find the problem with their OBD tool or what should I expect when taking the car to them to determine the cause. I am fully aware that you cannot 'think' for the dealer that I take it to - and I will - but I want to know basically what to expect them be able to find. Any idea as to the time involved to diagnose this issue? 1 hour or +. Again. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.
John,

The dealership should be able to find the issue within a hour.. They will use the DRBIII to retrieve the codes from the SKIM to determine your issue.. After they find the cause they will give you a total price for repair before they do it.. I wish there was a way for me to guide you to repair it, but even I need the codes to know exactly what's going on with your vehicle....

And you are very welcome, and don't forget you can reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating..

Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)