Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

cranks over,no spark at the spark plugs

cranks over,no spark at the spark plugs
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Amedee :

Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Amedee :

Please allow me to ask a few questions in order to better help resolve your concern.

Amedee :

Does the engine have injector pulse when cranking it over?

Amedee :

Have you checked for any codes stored in the computer?

Customer:

Yes the injector has pulse,i hook up snap scanner and no communication w/ pcm

Amedee :

Thank you for that information

Amedee :

How did you check for injector pulse?

Amedee :

And what were the results?

Customer:

unplug connector and put injector tester on it,and light was blinking

Amedee :

The reason I ask is because of the PCM is not communicating, it will not be able to pulse the injectors open and closed while cranking the engine over

Customer:

what do you suggest I should ck next

Amedee :

It depends on what we find when running these tests

Amedee :

That is why it is so important we get on the same page

Customer:

okhow do we get on the page

Amedee :

Double check injector pulse

Amedee :

If you have injector pulse, then try using another scanner

Amedee :

if you dont have injector pulse, then we check to see if the computer is "awake" with the key on

Amedee :

if not, we check all powers and grounds going into the PCM

Amedee :

If so, then we check the inputs to the computer

Amedee :

such as the crank signal, cam sensor and sync

Amedee :

Let me ask you this

Amedee :

do you have a reference voltage going to the cam and crank sensor with the key on?

Customer:

I printed out a schematic digram from alldata, and ck all the wires ground ,powers, crank sensor has voltage reference

Amedee :

How much?

Customer:

pcm has 12v, and crank sensor has 5v

Amedee :

Cam and crank sensors should have 8 volts

Customer:

so the voltage low? and I cant find the cam sensor or the ignition coil

Amedee :

I would double check all three wires going to the crank sensor

Amedee :

One of them should have 8 volts going to it with the key on

Amedee :

This is the reference voltage coming from the computer to the sensor

Amedee :

If this checks out good, then the PCM is good

Amedee :

Your next step would be to verify that the valve timing is good

Amedee :

If so, I would suspect a bad camshaft position sensor or bad ignition coil

Amedee :

They are both located inside the distributor assembly on this vehicle

Customer:

ok I will double ck everything and thank-you much.

Amedee :

Your welcome

Amedee :

Just one thing before you go

Amedee :

I just need to know if your happy with my assistance??

Amedee :

If so, I would appreciate a positive rating today for assisting you with your question

Customer:

yes I am

Amedee :

The rating system is located on the bottom of the page

Amedee :

It has been a pleasure working with you today

Amedee :

Have a great day and please dont forget to rate

Amedee :

Best Regards

Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector