FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech

Chrysler Concorde: I have a Concorde 2001. I took it to JiffyLube

I have a Concorde 2001. I took it to JiffyLube (JL) for oil change. They did it and suggested I have a coolant exchange and I agreed. It seemed to take forever. I watched the technician doing "things" under the hood away from the "bays" where you normally get the oil changed. After completion I left and within 5 miles I could see steam appearing on my windshield. I immediately pulled over and thought something had happened to my radiator. Called AAA who took my car to my mechanic. Mechanic says technician who did coolant exchange did not "burp" the car correctly and my water pump is destroyed. The repair bill for the new water pump is $1,000. I contacted the Chrysler dealer in person and explained what happened and they agreed the technician was probably not familiar with this particular Chrysler. I'm stuck in the middle. I need someone to help me with my claim (with information) against JL to get them to repair my car. It's not so much the cost of the new water pump at near $200 it is 8 hours of labor to do this. Can anyone assist with information regarding the coolant exchange process JL might have done incorrectly? Thank you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. The shops are exactly right that this could have happened. If JL did not bleed the system when they were done then the air in the system becomes trapped and that becomes a problem. If they are not experienced with this vehicle then they will get air trapped in the system. This causes uncontrollable expansion in the cooling system which will cause the engine to overheat, which will destroy the seal on the water pump. I hope this helps. If you need more help let me know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thank you for your input. I need to reliably be sure that I could say that since this event happened within 3-4 miles from JL, and they just worked on that portion of the car, more likely than not, it was their error? they are trying to say this was my issue and not theirs.

My car has always been maintained and I have never had water pump issues. I am not afraid to take them to court, but I need to have my ducks in a row. To me it seems obvious. Thanks

Here is what needs to be looked at. If the water pump was already starting to leak then they should have told you to have that fixed first. You also would have seen coolant leaking. They are responsible, especially if there is not any documentation stating that they told you that this may happen. Typically when a shop does a flush then leaks can occur, but they must inform you of this and have you sign for it before doing the service.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thank you. I thought I was on the right path. I appreciate your input and will put the info to good use. My car has always been "oil" serviced by JL and I have years of records where they, themselves, have only referred to an engine oil leak. On this occasion, I was never told the water pump leaked or anything of the kind. They just did whatever, and then shortly down the road - there I was calling AAA.

Yes, they seem fully responsible for this. It sounds like you have been a good customer to them and that they just do not want to take care of it. If you live in California you may want to call the Bureau of Automotive Repair as it will help you get this taken care of faster and they have rules about these types of flushes.
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech