jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr: Hello-I have a 1990 Lebaron that has

Hello-I have a 1990 Lebaron that has a problem with the distributor roter, it keeps banging against the cap when its running, what could cause this?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you ..

does the rotor fit nice and snug and isnt cracked?

did you see if the dist bearing is bad ,that is take off the cap and have someone turn the motor over and look if the dist shaft is not turning true and wobbling,or even see if you can move the dist shaft and rotor back and forth when it is not running ,there should be no play/side movement...jazzmaster ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cap was just replaced but I haven't checked the dist bearing, I thought maybe it might have been something else but I will look thanks. Is it the bearing that will cause this?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
if you cant see it moving side to side or wobbling while checking it by hand then you should have someone turn the motor over and look to see if the rotor is wobblin, if it is then the dist is bad and needs replaced ...jazzmaster ..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX question. To replace that I need to pull the dist shaft out correct?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

if the rotor is banging on the dist cap then ,if this was mine ,I would just replace the dist ,more than likely if the rotor hits the cap the shaft has damage to it, as well ,it would be better to replace the whole dist in that case ...jazzmaster ....

it most likely would be easier than trying to rebuild the old one and less time consuming

jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: ase certified--32 yrs experience