sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Chrysler sebring convertible jxi: i have a 1999 chrysler jxi

i have a 1999 chrysler jxi convertible. It was cranking and running fine until it gets hot then it cuts off especially at intersections when waiting for stoplights. I replaced the crank postion sensor today and that does not help. One minute it runs fine and then the next it is bogging out. I can cut the car off and crank it back up most times but its been getting worse. What else can it be?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The first thing I would recommend is checking for fault codes. Many things that will cause your problem will set a fault code and that would greatly aid in diagnosis.

You may have quite a few things going on. If it only dies at low speeds or at idle then the most likely things would be a bad idle air control motor in the throttle body or the EGR valve stuck open. If it was an IAC problem then cracking the throttle open a little would allow it to keep running.

EGR valves on these would sometimes stick open and allow EGR flow at idle when the engine can't tolerate it. This will cause it to run poorly or die.

A bad MAP sensor could also cause it.

You may also be losing spark due to a bad ignition coil or cam sensor, which are both in the distributor. A cam sensor would usually set a code but a bad coil will not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the light is not on however sunday it started blinking while I was driving. i disconnected the battery yesterday after I put second crank sensor on it, i put the first one in too deep and ruined it. It however runs a little better until it warms up and then it starts dying out especially at stoplights. However almost always after engine warms up. what do you mean by cracking the throttle open a little?

Will it stay running if you keep the gas pedal pressed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it bogs out and starts bucking

Have you tried blocking the EGR valve? Try loosening the EGR tube bolts, slide a piece of cardboard behind the tube and tighten the bolts. Take it for a ride and see if it then runs ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did that and it ran better but cut off at extended stoplights. as long as I was going down road it ran well which is alot better than it was doing. ran great with no misses until it warmed up then the stoplight thing started

Was it dying abruptly like the key was turned off or did it run rough, hesitate, etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

after stopping at intersection it ran rough, no power and I had to cut it off and do that a couple of times before it would go but once it started running right there was no rough running it ran good down the open road

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will say what you had me do made it run better except idling while hot.

Two things could be happening.

The EGR valve could be stuck open on it's own. This does happen.

Another thing that can happen is a restricted catalytic converter can create enough backpressure to blow the valve open. This would explain why it still ran had some issues with the valve blocked off.

Have you noticed any hissing or different sounds from the exhaust? Does it seem to have less power under hard acceleration?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No hissing or low power, been through that before with a Kia, so I should replace egr valve? Will the cutting off at stoplights stop when I do this? Will I hurt anything if I drive it to work with egr blocked off?

You'll definitely need to replace the EGR valve but I'm not totally sure that will take care of all problems. The lingering problems may have still been related though.

Start by replacing the EGR valve, we've definitely proven it bad. After you replace it disconnect the battery to clear the learned fuel adaptives and then see how it does. There may be more than one issue going on but let's start with the EGR valve that we've proven bad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I put a egr valve on car and it runs worse. Changed back 3 plugs today and finally blocked egr valve off again.It will run but will cut off occasionally. I had to pull car home yesterday after replacing egr valve because it cut off and wouldnt crank back. I can drive car with egr blocked off but it still isnt right, cuts off but will crank back. Any ideas what it could be. How can I tell if egr is working. Sprayed Seafoam in intake while i had it off as there was black stuff built up. It really acts as if something is acting up more at idle, but it does occasionally cut off when going down the road. All of this happens after car warms up. the hotter it gets the worse it does.

Did the EGR valve come with the solenoid?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It came with the black thing that has a electrical connection to it and vacuum hoses

WEre the hoses remove from that at all? If the hoses were reversed it would cause it to run bad all the time but would go back to normal if the vacuum line from the engine was removed from it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hoses ok, I just cranked it up and it cut off idling and when i put it in gear it cut off, hadn't been doing that before except when it's hot

Do you have access to a scan tool to be able to look at data?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not except for autozone but light isn't coming on

Autozone would have a code reader that would just be able to read fault codes, I was hoping to be able to read actual data.

I hate to recommend replacing parts if I can't say for sure if they're bad. What I was hoping to do is look at the MAP sensor's vacuum signal on a scan tool compared to what an actual vacuum gauge shows. If you don't have a vacuum gauge or scan tool available it might just be a better idea to replace the MAP sensor, but I hesitate to tell you to do it because I don't want to waste your money.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its got a smell coming fron exhaust, don't smell like gas but could smell like its running to lean

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just drove it around block, one minute it runs great and the next it is bucking and cutting off. I just want to be able to drive it

The MAP sensor reads the amount of vacuum in the intake and the PCM uses the signal for much of the fuel and ignition calculations. A bad MAP sensor could definitely cause what you are having.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess Ill try that out tomorrow, what do they run?

You should be able to pick up an aftermarket one for $20 or less.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I put map sensor on it runs great until

it gets hot it gets hot was it gets hot it starts cutting off again but until it gets hot it runs great

It sounds like there was a definite improvement with the MAP sensor then?

Does the coolant temperature gauge seem accurate?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes its better until it gets hot. Temp gauge seems to be ok

I'm a full time tech and at work this afternoon, I'll get back to you as quick as I can!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Talk soon!
Does the check engine light still flash at all?

Have you tried unplugging the upstream oxygen sensor and driving it to see if that makes a difference?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Check engine light flashed only one time, it seems to be in working order. I took cardboard off egr valve and am gonna take it to the store. It will be a few days before I can unplug upstream sensor I think cause I have to find it first and my ramps dont get car up too high so it makes for slow going.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just got back from store. It got up there good but once I left it ran like shit. It was a blueish white smoke coming from it. It smells like there is too much air and not enough gas. Also back 3 plugs I took out this weekend were white colored as in not right gas air mixture.

You're not burning any oil or coolant are you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unplugged upstream o2 sensor nothing changed. I am totally baffled.

Are you burning any coolant or oil?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

blue smoke here and there but coolant I dont know

Do you only get the smoke when it's running bad? YOu mentioned smoke the other day when it was running bad.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mostly but it's been sporadically smoking since I've owned it. Today when it cut off and I cranked it back it threw out a bluish smoke.Not much but smoke nevertheless and the exhaust is strong.

Can you pull a couple plugs on the front bank and see what they look like now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just replaced them a week or so ago and the looked good, a little white build up on electrode like its running too lean, no oil whatsoever

Have you rigged up a spark tester to see what spark looks like when it acts up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why didn't check engine light come on whenbI unplugged it? COULD THE KEY BE CAUSING THIS? Ican pull it out when car is running

The engine light didn't come on with the oxygen sensor unplugged? Either the light doesn't work or there is a PCM issue.

The key coming out is because the key and/or lock cylinder tumblers are worn, that wouldn't cause any driveability issues.