Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

i have a 2001 chrysler 300m . my car out of the blue stopped

i have a 2001 chrysler 300m . my car out of the blue stopped shifting it is in first and wont shift into second gear what is cousing it to happen
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Richard! I'm a Chrysler dealer tech with 22+ years experience & I'm going to try my best to help, so let's get started!

There are many things that can cause the transmission to go into limp-in mode. When the TCM sees a problem that could harm the transmission, it will go into limp-in mode.
When the TCM is in limp-in, it will turn off the relay that supplies power to the transmission solenoid pack.

The TCM will have a fault code stored and we need to get the TCM fault codes read before I can say what's causing this. Lets try the key cycle procedure to see what PCM codes are stored first.

Sit in the vehicle with all doors closed and starting with the key in the off position, turn it to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON (don't turn the key to the start position just on) within 5 seconds and leave the key on and watch the digital odometer to see if it displays a fault code. It will be a P followed by 4 numbers example P0700. When it is done displaying codes or if there are no codes it will say done. If you can't get this to work, please try it again following the instructions!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i had it put on the scaner and it came up with a code cant think of the code i dont remember but it was something to do with transmission contrl

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Would you be able to get the code again, so I can help you diagnose this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

po700 sounds right its a 3.5 lt 24 valve ho with autostick

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
P0700 is just an informational code that stores in the PCM, telling us a transmission fault code is present in the TCM. We need to know what code is stored in the TCM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i will get it and get back to you thanks . just do the key thing right

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The key cycle will just show P0700, so we need to get the codes read with a scan tool.
Do you have an Autozone or another parts store near you? They will read codes at no charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I do

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Great, write down all the P-codes and post them here and we'll take it from here!

I would also like you to make sure the transmission fluid level is good with the engine running in park.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

here are the codes p0605 and p0700 I hope they help you with you being able to tell me what is wrong and if it can be fixed

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the codes!! P0605 is the code related to the problem. P0605 sets when there is an internal failure of the transmission control module(TCM). There is nothing else that can set this code. You will have to get the TCM replaced, pinion factor programmed and a quick learn performed with a scan tool.

I hope this helps, let me know!
Thank you,
Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.