Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chrysler Town & Country LXi: I had a bad computer, so I

Customer Question

I had a bad computer, so I changed it with a used one. Will start, but will shut down after a few seconds and the red security light is on. How can I get the vehicle to recognize the new computer module?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

did the used pcm have the save service number?

tim's auto repair :

does the dash gear indecator light up with the key on?

tim's auto repair :

does the instruments work?

Customer:

tim's auto repair :

the # XXXXX the pcm[computer] does it have the same service number

tim's auto repair :

are you there?

Customer:

My husband asks if he were to buy a rebuilt computer online - would that make a difference? He was not sure about the same service number. He did say that the dash gear indicator did light up and that the instruments did work. It all worked but the security system shut it down.

tim's auto repair :

it would work with the same service #,,

tim's auto repair :

ifr not..it will need to be flashed[programed] by the dealer

Customer:

Hmm. He got the same year, etc. Where do we find the service number (location)? To see if it's the same?

tim's auto repair :

it is on the side of the pcm

tim's auto repair :

may i ask,,why did you replace the computer?

Customer:

let me find out

tim's auto repair :

ok]

Customer:

because engine had a misfire and previous engine had high mileage. So after changing the motor, this engine had the same misfire. After checking coils, wires and spark plugs - I figured that it was a computer issue. So I changed the computer and it ran for 2 minutes without a miss. But I turned it off to put the head light back on - it started but then stalled out after 2 seconds everytime.

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

and,,the instrument cluster works when it does this?

Customer:

yes

tim's auto repair :

ok'

tim's auto repair :

your dealer may need to flash the computer to make it work with your van

Customer:

I've heard go to the dealer a lot. Please give me something out of the box.

tim's auto repair :

you dont have the computer to do the programming with

tim's auto repair :

'only the dealer

tim's auto repair :

if you had bought a rebuilt computer like from auto zone

tim's auto repair :

it would work

Customer:

So if I buy a new computer online - will I still have to go to the dealer no matter what?

tim's auto repair :

yes,,unless they do the flash

tim's auto repair :

you need to ask if they flash them

tim's auto repair :

they will need your milage and vin#

Customer:

Do you know about how much it costs for the dealer to flash the computer?

tim's auto repair :

depends on the dealer

tim's auto repair :

around $75-$100+/-

Customer:

estimate? We live upstate NY

tim's auto repair :

around $75-$100+/-

Customer:

Thanks so much then. You're very helpful as to where to go next with this issue. Have a great weekend! :)

tim's auto repair :

you also

tim's auto repair :

thanks

tim's auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.