Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

car has 55k miles - i put gas in pt cruiser. i drive off, .and

Customer Question

car has 55k miles - i put gas in pt cruiser. i drive off, .and then the car stops on me while driving. i can restart the vehicle okay and - the fuel pump is okay because i can hear it.. the sensors are okay. last month the mech replaced the camshaft position sensor. my vin number is XXXXX Y48 B87T5 63143 i only drive on freeway when i have too all of my driving is on the street.. is the gas nozzle from the service station shorting something out when i insert it?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

please explain...are you saying when the engine gets hot...it will just die?

tim's auto repair :

tell me all you can

tim's auto repair :

than ks

Customer:

after putting gas in the car - i continue to drive to the grocery strore etc.. and while driving the car just dies on me. i then have to put the car in park and turn the key to continue driving.. as i continue driving when i make a left turn the car will die again.. as time goes by the problem seems to become less of a problem.. but as soon as put gas in the car the problem stars all over again

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

does the engine light stay on?

Customer:

all of the lights go off and if i am driving at night myheadlights go off and my dashboard and everything goes out it appears as if as if someone disconnected the battery cables

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

do you get any trouble codes now?

Customer:

my check engine light went off when i had the cashaft position sensor replaced the mchanic used his meter and he checked the battery and cables and could not find a problem he also test drove the car with me as a passenger he could not find a problem also the vehicle did not stop at that time yesterday after puting gas in the car my problems started again

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

sense you dont get any codes but you did get a code for the cam sensor before

tim's auto repair :

the first thing you need to do here..

Customer:

yes i did

tim's auto repair :

is to check the battery cables at all 4 poits

tim's auto repair :

the battery+ and -

tim's auto repair :

\the engine -

tim's auto repair :

and at the starter+

tim's auto repair :

but

tim's auto repair :

you also need to load test the charging system

tim's auto repair :

if you dont have a load tester,,auto zone and most parts stores will do a load test for free

tim's auto repair :

testing with a multi meter doesnt put a load on the system

tim's auto repair :

your alternator may be shorting out

tim's auto repair :

also..

tim's auto repair :

i think this sense you loose all lights when the problem happens

Customer:

the mech check the voltage and everything the cables and everything i also purchased a brand new battery and he installed the new battery and took his time and he checked all of he connections he does not work in a hurry.. the problem onlys begins to happen after i leave the gas station could the nozzle be shorting something out?

tim's auto repair :

i wouldnt the the fuel would cause the problem as you have described

tim's auto repair :

another thing that could cause the engine to die without giving a code

tim's auto repair :

is the crank sensor

tim's auto repair :

the cam and crank sensors work together

tim's auto repair :

and,,,may be bad,,and could have give the cam sensor code

Customer:

now we are getting somewhere will the load test idicate the conditio of the crank sensor?

tim's auto repair :

no

tim's auto repair :

but,,it will put a strain on the charging sytem to make sure the alternator and cables are good

tim's auto repair :

there is no good test for a crank sensor when the problem is intermediate

Customer:

is there a way to test the crank sensor or do they go hand in hand like replacing the water pumup when replacing the timing belt?

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

the most logical thingto do is to get the "load test" from the auto parts place and would it make sense to go ahed and replace the crank sensor?

tim's auto repair :

do the load test first

tim's auto repair :

you may have a bad alternator

tim's auto repair :

but yes,,if all gos well with the load test

tim's auto repair :

replace the crank sensor

tim's auto repair :

Component ID: 314
Component : SENSOR-CRANKSHAFT POSITION

Connector:
Name : SENSOR-CRANKSHAFT POSITION
Color : NATURAL
# XXXXX pins : 2
Qualifier : (DIESEL)

68_cr-pt780279.png
Full Size Image

Pin Description Circuit
1 CKP SIGNAL NO. 1 K853 20LG
2 CKP SIGNAL NO. 2 K24 20LG/WT

Component Location - 19

36_cr-80e6de60.png
Full Size Image

Component Location - 26

41_cr-80f5a18b.png
Full Size Image

Component Location - 23

42_cr-80f74f29.png
Full Size Image

Connector:
Name : SENSOR-CRANKSHAFT POSITION
Color : BLACK
# XXXXX pins : 3
Qualifier : (GAS)

69_cr-pt780280.png
Full Size Image

Pin Description Circuit
1 CKP GROUND K925 20BR/WT
Pin Description Circuit
1 5 VOLT SUPPLY F855 20OR
2 CKP SIGNAL K24 20GY/BK
2 SENSOR GROUND K900 20BK/LB
3 CKP 5 VOLT SUPPLY K853 20OR
3 CKP SIGNAL K24 20GY/BK

Component Location - 19

36_cr-80e6de60.png
Full Size Image

Component Location - 26

41_cr-80f5a18b.png
Full Size Image

Component Location - 23

42_cr-80f74f29.png
Full Size Image

Customer:

if the alternator is bad then it should be replaced and then i should continue driving the car and see if i get any more failures?

tim's auto repair :

correct

Customer:

thak you soooooo mcuh i will now click for you to be paid

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.