Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chrysler 300: Thanks for the info. I bought a used compresor

Thanks for the info. I bought a used compresor for 06 chrys 300 5.7 now I need to know what do I do to prep this before I install it. Do I have to flush it if so with what? Do I add oil, If so what kind and how much and which hole do I put it in? When this gets charged how much freon do I put in?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

if you are installing a used compressor,,it may still have oil in it

tim's auto repair :

you may not need to flush the system

tim's auto repair :

but,,do run a vacuum when you get it all back together

tim's auto repair :

NOTE:
- The A/C compressor may be removed and repositioned without disconnecting the refrigerant lines or discharging the refrigerant system. Discharging is not necessary if servicing the compressor clutch, clutch coil, engine, engine cylinder head or the generator.
- If an internal failure of the A/C compressor has occurred, the receiver/drier must be replaced.

53_cr06300ma_24-409a.png
Full Size Image

1. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system.
2. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
3. Remove the air cleaner housing.
4. Remove the serpentine drive belt.
5. Disconnect the wire harness connector from the A/C compressor clutch coil connector (1).
6. Remove the nuts (2) that secure the A/C suction line (3) and A/C discharge line (4) to the A/C compressor (5).
7. Disconnect the suction and discharge lines from the A/C compressor and remove and discard the dual plane seals.
8. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings and the compressor ports.

NOTE: 5.7L engine shown in illustration. 6.1L similar.

9. Raise and support the vehicle.

54_cr06300ma_24-409b.png
Full Size Image

10. Remove the front end splash shield.
11. Support the A/C compressor (3) and remove the bolts (1) that secure the automatic transmission cooler line bracket (2) and the compressor to the cylinder block (4).
12. Position the cooler lines out of the way and remove the A/C compressor from the engine compartment.

INSTALLATION

NOTE:
- Be certain to check the refrigerant oil level if the A/C compressor is being replaced. See Refrigerant Oil Level for the procedures. Use only refrigerant oil of the type recommended for the A/C compressor in the vehicle.
- 5.7L engine shown in illustration. 6.1L engine similar.

61_cr06300ma_24-413a.png
Full Size Image

1. Position the A/C compressor (3) into the engine compartment.
2. Loosely install the three bolts (1) that secure the A/C compressor and the automatic transmission cooler line bracket (2) to the cylinder block (4).
3. Tighten the three bolts in the following order to 50 N.m (37 ft. lbs.):
1. Upper front bolt.
2. Lower front bolt.
3. Rear bolt.

4. Install the front end splash shields.
5. Lower the vehicle.

62_cr06300ma_24-413b.png
Full Size Image

6. Remove the tape or plugs from the opened fittings on the A/C suction line (3) and the A/C discharge line (4) and the compressor ports.
7. Lubricate new dual plane seals with clean refrigerant oil and install them onto the suction and the discharge line fittings. Use only the specified seals as they are made of a special material for the R-134a system. Use only refrigerant oil of the type recommended for the A/C compressor in the vehicle.
8. Install the suction and discharge lines onto the A/C compressor (5).
9. Install the nuts (2) that secure the suction and discharge lines to the A/C compressor. Tighten the nuts to 23 N.m (17 ft. lbs.).
10. Connect the wire harness connector to the A/C compressor clutch coil connector (1).
11. Install the serpentine drive belt.
12. Replace the receiver/drier if the A/C compressor is being replaced due to an internal failure.
13. Install the air cleaner housing.
14. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
15. Evacuate the refrigerant system.
16. Charge the refrigerant system

tim's auto repair :

the oil gos in the low presser side[the bigger line hole] of the compressor

tim's auto repair :

REFRIGERANT OIL CAPACITY
Total System Fill .......................................... 6.1 oz. (180 ml)
Receiver/Dryer ............................................... 1.0 oz. (30 ml)
Condenser ................................................... 1.0 oz. (30 ml)
Evaporator .................................................. 2.0 oz. (60 ml)
Compressor ................ Drain and measure the oil from the old compressor

tim's auto repair :

Refrigerant Oil ...................................................... ND-8 PAG

tim's auto repair :

.

tim's auto repair :

Refrigerant Type .......................................................R-134a

tim's auto repair :

R-134a Charge .......................................... 0.737 kg (1.625 lbs.)

Customer:

The oil in the old compresor was lost when it was removed thats why I'm asking for amount to add.

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

all the information is above

tim's auto repair :

thanks

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

It states to measure the old oil in order to get answer to how much to add. and it is gone that's why I'm asking how much?

tim's auto repair :

if the compressor is dry

tim's auto repair :

put in about 4oz

tim's auto repair :

you may need to hand turn the pump to get it to take it

tim's auto repair :

as you pour it in

Customer:

Thanks man I think Ihave every thing I need. This will help make my job a little easier.

tim's auto repair :

you are very welcome

Customer:

I didn't see any dual plane seals what's up with that

tim's auto repair :

?

tim's auto repair :

the seals is there

tim's auto repair :

may be stuck to the compressor or the lines

tim's auto repair :

if not,,you will need to buy them

Customer:

These are the ones that are like o rings on the end of the hose fittings?

tim's auto repair :

yes

tim's auto repair :

if you are only replacing the compressor,,these are all you need to worry with

Customer:

Thanks again.

tim's auto repair :

you are very welcome

tim's auto repair :

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You said to use ND-8 oil. I having a really hard time finding it but someone told me to use Ester. Is this ok to use?

yes,,as long as it is pag it will be fine
thanks