Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

Chrysler Town & Country Limited: I have a 2001 chrysler

I have a 2001 chrysler town and country. It has a 3.8L. When the a/c is on there is a horrible rattle sound. I am guessing that the pump is going bad. The a/c still works. Do you agree with the assesment?
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. Yes I do agree, its very common for the compressor to rattle for some time before it completely fails, although it is best to get it replaced before this happens, just because the belt can break and the system gets full of debris when they go bad. Let me know if you have more questions on this I am always willing to help, Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yup thats what I thought fix it before it gets worse. My plan is to take it to the shop have them do a evac and a vac then I will put the pump in. I am thinking I should do a drier as well? Any idea how much oil to put in the new pump and into the dryer?

Yes I highly recommend putting a dryer on it as well, as for oil? It really depends on the compressor, the compressor usually comes with instructions on how to determine how much out to use. I usually add 2 - 3 oz of oil to the dryer when I install it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So this has rear air aswell. What would you replace when replacing the pump? Are there 2 expansin valves?

I would just do the pump and the dryer, there are 2 expansion valves, I do not usually replace any of that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Turns out that when I use a scope to listen the sound is coming from the alternator but only when the A/C clutch is engaged. Bad alt? Putting to much load on it?

That is a possibility, I would remove the belt and spin the pulleys and see if one sounds loud, you can usually tell if one is.