Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible: How do I replace the motor

How do I replace the motor and lifts for my convertible top on my 2005 PT Cruiser?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

REMOVAL
1. Start with the folding top in the raised and latched position.
2. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
3. Remove the well liner/carpet from the folding top well.
4. Remove the rear quarter trim panels.

NOTE: Place a reference mark along the outer edge of the shelf seat brackets to ensure they are installed back to the original position.

87_cr05ptcru_23-033b.png
Full Size Image

Shelf Seat Bracket

5. Remove the seat back support brackets.
6. Remove the motor/hydraulic pump foam cover.
7. Remove the six cable tie straps (three per side) and clip the three on the left side to separate the wire harness.

88_cr05ptcru_23-033c.png
Full Size Image

Pump Mounting

8. Remove the two motor/hydraulic pump retaining nuts.

89_cr05ptcru_23-034a.png
Full Size Image

Cylinder Bolts

9. Remove the two retaining bolts for each hydraulic cylinder.

90_cr05ptcru_23-034b.png
Full Size Image

Cylinder Location

10. Remove the hydraulic cylinders from the main pivot brackets.
11. Disconnect the relay and motor connectors.
12. Remove the motor/hydraulic pump assembly from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION
1. Position the motor/hydraulic pump assembly in the vehicle.

91_cr05ptcru_23-034c.png
Full Size Image

Motor/Hydraulic Pump Assembly

2. Connect the relay and motor connectors.

92_cr05ptcru_23-034d.png
Full Size Image

Cylinder Location

3. Install the hydraulic cylinders to the main pivot brackets.

93_cr05ptcru_23-035a.png
Full Size Image

Cylinder Bolts

4. Install the two retaining bolts for each hydraulic cylinder.

94_cr05ptcru_23-035b.png
Full Size Image

Pump Mounting

5. Install the two motor/hydraulic pump retaining nuts.
6. Install the six cable tie straps (three per side) to secure the wire harness.
7. Install the motor/hydraulic pump foam cover.

NOTE: Take note of the reference marks along the outer edge of the shelf seat brackets to ensure they are installed back to the original position.

95_cr05ptcru_23-035c.png
Full Size Image

Shelf Seat Bracket

8. Install the seat back support brackets.
9. Install the rear quarter trim panels.
10. Install the well liner/carpet into the folding top well.
11. Connect the battery negative cable.
12. Verify normal power top system operation and check for hydraulic oil leaks. Adjust power top as necessary.

tim's auto repair :

Reasons to adjust the folding top assembly
1. Pull-down and latching efforts are too high.
2. Wrinkles appear in the canopy.
3. Header "slap" when the folding top is raised, prior to pull down.
4. Dowel pin alignment.

NOTE: No adjustments should be done at the internal folding top adjustment screws on the Main Pivot Bracket of the folding top (these screws are only for initial settings at the supplier).

Adjustment of the floating bow tension strap barrels (to add or relieve tension to the canopy).
1. The folding top should be in a raised position and latched at the header.

51_cr05ptcru_23-013c.png
Full Size Image

Tension Strap Barrel Location

2. The tension straps are located in the most rearward point of the trunk compartment.
3. From inside the trunk area (1 per side) adjust the tension barrels clockwise to tighten the canopy and counter clockwise to reduce canopy tension. The left tension barrel bolt has access. The right tension bolt must be accessed through the jack storage door opening.
4. The 10 mm hex screw located on the bottom side of each barrel adjusts the tension barrels. Turn the screw counter clockwise to loosen the canopy. Turn the screw clockwise to tighten the canopy. Each screw turn represents 1.25 mm (0.05 in) of adjustment.
5. It is recommended that the barrels be adjusted no more than 2.5 mm (0.10 in.).
6. After the barrels have been adjusted, cycle the folding top to the fully stowed position and then raise it back up and latch it at the header.

Adjustment of the C-link stop-screws (to align the dowel pins on the folding top with the dowel pin receptacles in the windshield frame mounted strikers)
1. The folding top should be in a raised position and unlatched at the header.
2. Visually inspect the fore/aft alignment of the dowel pin to the dowel pin receptacles in the windshield frame mounted strikers (the center line axis of the dowel pins should be aligned with the center line axis of the dowel pin receptacles). Measure the amount of misalignment.
3. Lower the folding top to the stowed position.

20_cr05ptcru_23-014a.png
Full Size Image

Tension Strap Barrel

21_cr05ptcru_23-014b.png
Full Size Image

Up Stop Adjustment

4. Locate the stop-screw at the base of the C-link to the main pivot bracket (1 per side) between the quarter window and the interior quarter trim (they are only visible when the folding top is in the stowed position).
5. Turn the stop-screw(s) (13 mm jam nut - torx(R) 40 the amount required. One half clockwise rotation (turn to the right) of the screw will move the folding top forward 2.0 mm (0.08 in), and one half counterclockwise rotation (turn to the left) of the screw will move the folding top rearward 2.0 mm (0.08 in).
6. Raise the folding top and pull down on the handle. The dowel pins should fall into the center of the dowel pin receptacles. There should be no rubbing or noise from the dowel pins when the dowel pins enter the dowel pin receptacles.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 as required.

NOTE: The folding top dowel pins can be shifted side to side by turning one side stop-screw out and the opposite side stop-screw in.

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

OK found motor and lift cylinders. Am looking for leak but can't find one. Must be low on oil. I assume the top has to be up to add oil. What type of oil is needed. Found used cylinders on net . Can I replace 1 at a time or are both needed?

tim's auto repair :

one moment please

tim's auto repair :

you replace the motor as a unit

tim's auto repair :

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price
Convertible Top Motor

Motor & Pump

5127344AB$480.00

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace Motor & Pump

B1.31.6
tim's auto repair :

REMOVAL
4. Remove the rear quarter trim panels.

87_cr05ptcru_23-033b.png
Full Size Image

Shelf Seat Bracket

88_cr05ptcru_23-033c.png
Full Size Image

Pump Mounting

89_cr05ptcru_23-034a.png
Full Size Image

Cylinder Bolts

90_cr05ptcru_23-034b.png
Full Size Image

Cylinder Location

INSTALLATION

91_cr05ptcru_23-034c.png
Full Size Image

Motor/Hydraulic Pump Assembly

92_cr05ptcru_23-034d.png
Full Size Image

Cylinder Location

93_cr05ptcru_23-035a.png
Full Size Image

Cylinder Bolts

94_cr05ptcru_23-035b.png
Full Size Image

Pump Mounting

95_cr05ptcru_23-035c.png
Full Size Image

Shelf Seat Bracket

11. Connect the battery negative cable.

Customer:

Tim this is great but how do I save this? Is there a way you can send in PDF format so I can save it. I will be removing the lifts and motor next week. Don't want to hold this open and delay payment. Will give you highest rating and good tip.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

no real need to save it

tim's auto repair :

you can sign in to justanswer and go to your questions,,,,it will be there

tim's auto repair :

you can try right clicking to turn it blue,,then,left click the save to save it to your computer

tim's auto repair :

thanks

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

Tim want to give you $9 tip for your help. Did this before but page didn't show this time.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

sorry i missed you..

tim's auto repair :

that would be great...but would be happy with a positive rating..thanks

tim's auto repair :

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.