Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified 0ver 25 years. Dealership, independant experience Bubmer to Bumper all makes/models
12331040

Chrysler Lebaron LE: i have a 91 lebaron 3.0l.. have good fuel

i have a 91 lebaron 3.0l.. have good fuel pressure, have spark, good compression wont start, tries to , plugs look black and sooty , checked map sensor appears good , also will run when feeding it starting fluid but wont stay running when i stop spraying

Scott :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will gladly assist you with your vehicle concern.

Scott :

sounds like you lost injector pulse. Do you have a test light?

Customer:

YES but would that allow me to run on starting fluid?

Customer:

sorry wrong responce... i checked the injectors when out and theyu all fired

Scott :

so you cranked the engine with the injectors out of the car, or cycled the ignition and got one squirt?

Customer:

yes all injectors squirted at what appeared to be proper times

Scott :

Not that is odd, as why would the starter fluid make a difference, unless you are too lean to start... a possibility we will file for now.

So, would you like to humor me and let me walk you through a quick test, as to satisfy my curiosity?

Customer:

sure

Scott :

using your test lamp to check for voltage, key on and then cranking, check the following injector wires.

Drk Green/Black x2; Red/White x2; and Red x2: What do you have? Should be a steady Bright Light.

Customer:

all wires are bright, also to mention that it does try to start but dies immediatly

Scott :

Good. Now, take the test light and hook it up to test ground. The clamp to Batt Positive Do the same test on the opposite wires. You should get a pulse when cranking and running.

Customer:

hooked up test light, is light until i crank , no light or pulsing

Scott :

O.K. You are losing your injector driver.

Scott :

This can be caused by a bad ECM or a security issue. Take your key fob {RKE} and lock and unlock the door. If you do not have a fob, then try locking and unlocking the doors, passenger and drivers door, then attempt a restart

Customer:

no good tries to start but dies immediatly

Scott :

We are losing a reference signal. go cycle the ignition key 3 times, not to start but to on, and on the last click, leave it on. Count the lamp flashes. 5-5 will be your end of message.

Customer:

12,55

Scott :

12 is just battery disconnected to the SBEC {ECM}

Scott :

Wait one

Scott :

Do you have a Volt Ohms meter?

Customer:

yes

Scott :

I also meant to ask, when cranking, do you have a good spark?

Customer:

the spark looked good but i tested the coil and pri and sec res. was with in specs

Scott :

O.K.

Scott :

I am assuming you do not have a scanner to read a data stream. Correct?

Customer:

no i do not

Scott :

O.K. I am trying to devise a test for you that does not require a data stream. Give me a minute

Customer:

ok

Scott :

O.k. Using the pin pic, follow the tree below it. Where it says DRB OHM... ignore that, you have an Ohm meter. What is your result.

Scott :

VT/WT is a Vilot and White Wire

Scott :

This test will check your voltage to the controller.

Full Size Image

Customer:

give me a few minutes please

Scott :

Take your time. I have to cook dinner anyway.

Scott :

Wife's football day

Customer:

should i do this with harness disconnected or attached

Scott :

The tests are done with the connector off of the controller, and that ever item you are checking.

Customer:

pin 6 22.0 ohms pin 3 12.3 volts

Scott :

Do the next test

Customer:

ok

Scott :

Not ready to condemn the controller yet.

Customer:

tested res pin three to pos disconnect meter show no resistance

Scott :

Pin 3 is a voltage test

Customer:

on test ns-88 says to test res.

Scott :

Sorry, I didn't switch pages.

Go to the fusible link

Scott :

Check the left fender panel and behind the battery.

Scott :

You are looking for a white fusible link. It should be powers all the time. Take your test lamp and check both sides of it, about 1 inch from either side of it. Should be powered on each probe.

Customer:

unable to located fusible link would it be located inside wrapped harness?

Scott :

Very possible. They are like roaches. They cluster. You will probably see 3 or four together. I am trying to locate a picture. Chry, Gm and ford was lacking back then on a lot of info like that.

Scott :

Oh, convertible to sedan? might help

Customer:

conv.

Scott :

K. I figured it was.

Scott :

Sorry, all i can locate is "On left Fender Panel"

Scott :

Have to step out, I will be back

Customer:

still unable to locate but if there was a problem with that link i should not get any readings what so ever and i get voltage and continuity

Scott :

O.K. I am back. My son was giving a presentation to me for his class tomorrow

Scott :

You stated no resistance, so That is why I had you do a voltage test. Pin 3 Red/White wire. If it has battery voltage, than the link is fine.

Scott :

Check the following pins.
Ground: 11 and 12
Battery Voltage: 3

if those are there, and the other tests are pointing to the SBEC, then that is all we have to go on.

Scott :

We know we are missing the Injector pulse, but have Distributor pulse, so the reference is there. The real check is to use the DRB or an equivalent scanner to verify, but it is looking like you have lost the board in the controller.