Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified

2003 PT Cruiser Squealing Noise

Customer Question

Besides the Serpentine Belt and the Timing Belt, what other belts are on my non turbo 2003 PT Cruiser? I keep getting a squealing noise from my car. My mechanic keeps changing a belt, but just after 75 to 200 miles it starts squalling again. I think it is the Serpentine belt that is making the noise because if I spray it (just behind the passenger front tire), it will temporally stop squalling but only for a few minutes. My mechanic tells me to never use belt dressing after he had to clean it up the last time. I don't use belt dressing anymore. My mechanic can't find the cause of the sequel but he also cant tell me how many belts I have on my car. I love my mechanic and I love my car, but I am losing faith in both of them. I'm hoping you can help us all. What can we do to stop the squealing in my car?

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Chrysler my name is Mark and I will be assisting you today.

The serpentine belt runs the a/c and power steering and has a spring loaded tensioner to maintain correct belt tension and prevent squealing.

There is another belt that runs just the alternator. This belt is adjusted/tensioned manually and if this belt is too loose it will squeal. It sounds like this particular belt is your issue. If the belt has been replaced already, then it is likely too loose and needs to be tensioned again.

Hope that helps..........please let me know if you need anything further.