Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech

Chrysler Sebring LXi (Coupe): 98 Sebring LXi wont start. When

98 Sebring LXi won't start. When the key is turned nothing happens, it doesn't even atttempt to start. Sometimes if you wait an hour or so it will start and other times you have to wait 24 hrs.

This can be one of a few things. Either a bad starter, ignition switch, neutral safety switch, or wiring problem.

First, check to make sure your battery is fully charged and your battery cables are tight and free of corrosion. If they are loose or corroded, this will cause intermittent starting issues and you should clean them before trying anything else.

If not, lets check the starter: while someone is holding the key in the "crank" position tap on the starter with a hammer and if the engine begins to turn over, you have a bad starter. Another way to check is with a test light. With the test light, you should have power at the single (thin) wire going to the starter with the key in the "crank" position. If so, you have a bad starter, if not, you have another problem.

Many times you can rule out a neutral safety switch problem by wiggling the shifter in park and neutral while holding the key in the "crank" position. If the car begins to turn over then you have a bad neutral safety switch.

If you still have the issue it could be a problem with wiring or your ignition switch, but these failures are very uncommon.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is a factory alarm and I don't have the remote. Could this be causing the problem?

Its possible, but you would receive a flashing light on the dash when trying to start it that indicates the security is the problem. Do you see this when trying to start it?

Has any aftermarket alarm or security key been installed? Many times you can see something on the knee panel below the steering wheel. If it looks aftermarket then it is likely to be the culprit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No no falshing light on dash. Battery is fine, starter checks out fine, No after market alarm. Took the door panels off and found the electrical connector was not attached to lock cylinder. Moved the switch back and forth while turning the key and it started once.

I think these are unrelated. The door lock cylinder should not have any effect on the starter circuit. You said the starter "checks out fine", how was it checked?

Also, have you tried wiggling the shifter with the key in the "crank" position?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked the starter with a multimeter while I had someone try and start the car. I called the dealer to purchase a new three way switch that was connected to the back of the door lock cylinder but they did not show anything in their system. Makes sense it was built buy Mitsubishi (junk). Anyhow I rottated the switch while I had someone turn the key in the door lock and then tried starting. It started, so I used a dab of Gorrila glue on the back of the switch and connected it back to the lock cylinder. It is still starting, and hopefully will continue. I think I will take it in and see if there is anyway to disable the security system.

Well it sounds like you have isolated the problem.

If it happens anymore, let me know and I will be happy to troubleshoot it with you.