jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience

Chrysler PT Cruiser: Had a P0302 error code and changed spark

Had a P0302 error code and changed spark plug and spark plug wire. Found out the spark plug wire was the culpret. Changed the wire and all good for about a month. Same error P0302 came up so I changed the wire again and all good for about another month. Wire looks good, doesnt look burned or anything. Spark plug is good. Any idea what could be happening?

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

are you using factory chrysler wires>?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, bought them at Advanced Auto Parts

i would say its either loow quality plug wires.......the exact brand advanced carrys is junk.....Or the coil is starting to fail....I would up grade to a better quality plug wire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why is it only happening to the 2nd cylinder is my real question?

are you doing a full tune up or replacing one cable?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced all the spark plugs and wires the first time it happened and then only had to replace the wire for plug number 2 three times.
sounds like inexpensive low quality plug wires
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Why is cylinder number 2 my only problem? The rest of the wires have no problem. It doesnt make sense to me. I believe something else is going on.

if a new wire solves it..then its the wire,. the only other issue could be the ignition coil

they are common to fail , on pt cruiser , stratus, neon etc

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Im using the Autolite Professional Series Wire Set. Are these considered low quality? and if so, which would you recommend?

i would recomend factory mopar wires or bosch......Its a good idea to change the coil while your at it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
While i appreciate you trying to help, I came to this forum to try to understand what's going on with my car. I know a little about cars and know that it's either the wires or the coil. I was trying to get a better understanding why it only happened to cylinder 2 and all I got was change the wire and while I'm at it, replace the coil. I was trying to maybe save some money and better my understanding of what was going on but i really only ended up spending 13 more dollars.

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you .

first, is the car running bad or just the check engine light comes on ?

does the car only run a little bad when first starting up and then clear and run good or run with a miss all the time ESP. under a load such as going up a hill ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

To answer your first question, I can notice the car running a little rough when the light comes on. I then reset the check engine light and it comes on after a few miles. I then change the wire and it seems to run smoother but after a month, check engine light comes on and this senario starts all over again with wire number 2.

Question 2: I can feel the car jumping when idle and when waiting at stop signs and lights. Cant really tell when on the highway but seems to struggle uphills in the streets.

ok, if this was my car ,I would put a spark tester(inline tester) on the #2 wire and watch if it blinks at a steady pulse,try this at idle and giving it a little gas.

hook up the tester at the coil end of the spark plug wire .

if the spark skips and is not steady the coil is most likely at fault,you can also clear the code and switch #2 with # XXXXX wire and see if the code comes back for #2 if it does then most likely the coil is bad ,if it comes back as a code for #1 then the wire is failing that you put in the # XXXXX cylinder and that you had taken from the # XXXXX cylinder .

in that case I would still suspect the coil .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there a chance that the coil has a defect where it seems to work but shorting or burning out my #2 spark plug wire after a period of time? Thats what seems to be happening. I changed the wire 3 times already which leads me to believe something is shorting it out.

anything is possible on todays vehicles ,that is why I suggest switching two of the wires #1 &# XXXXX with each other .

this way you will be able to tell if the same code comes up then I would think the coil is at fault ,if you are clearing the code each time you have replaced the #2 wire then the fault may go away for a bit until it happens again.

the check engine light may not come on until after 2 or 3 trips of the computer for the issues causing the fault.

usaully if this was an ecm/pcm issue the fault may also show in the # XXXXX cylinder or throw a code as well for # XXXXX cylinder .

so switch those 2 wires and clear the code and go for a long ride or enough drive cycles to trigger the check engine light on.

if there are no other codes with that #2 code and after replacing the wire for the number 2 cylinder and it keeps coming back I would highly suspect the coil .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will try switching wires 1 and 2 but I kind of know what the outcome is going to be. cylinder one is going to come up with the error because the wire is bad and I will replace it with a new one. Then I will have to wait another month or so until cylinder 2 shorts out my wire again. I'll let you know the outcome in a day or so.

it may not show an error on the #1 cylinder .

but you should check the spark output with a spark tester as well ,it may show that the spark skips on the #2 cylinder and that would point more to the coil itself. .you had mentioned that :

I can feel the car jumping when idle and when waiting at stop signs and lights. Cant really tell when on the highway but seems to struggle uphills in the streets

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for you assistance. I ended up replacing the coil and everything seem to be running smoothly for now. If the check engine comes on again, I'll let you know.

ok, good to hear that it is good .just keep this post to ever reply back or ask for jazzmaster only ,,,thanks ...jazzmaster ...
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: ase certified--32 yrs experience