Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

2006 PT Cruiser 80,000 miles ROUGH IDLE, MUST BRAKE TO KEEP FROM ROLLING FORWARD--DEALER

Customer Question

2006 PT Cruiser 80,000 miles
ROUGH IDLE, MUST BRAKE TO KEEP FROM ROLLING FORWARD--DEALER SAYS TYPICAL OF SUPER-CHARGED ENGINES (4 CYL).
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Does the check engine light come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just today the light came on but says "9as cap." We read the note on the gas filler and it said that we need premium gas--we bought it a week ago and nobody said to use premium gas.

Let's see what codes are stored. Cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. Don't crank the starter, just off to on. The codes start with a P and have four numbers, there may be more than one stored. Write down any that you see and post them here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did what you said but the 9ascap came on. We're trying to find the reset button to get gas cap off. I bought a new gas cap and put a higher grade of gas in it. When we find the reset button, we'll see whether we can get the reset button to turn off 9ascap sign.

You can press the trip odometer reset to temporarily turn off the gas cap warning if it's interfering with checking for codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're looking for it right now.

Did you get an owner's manual with the car? It's sounding like the manual might be missing. You can download it HERE if you don't have one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found the reset button. 9ascap goes off, but comes on later. The engine symbol is still on, but I got hr2362.
If you've got the gas cap warning off now then let's try reading the codes again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It still says "hr2362" but the 9ascap comes back on and the engine outline still shows.
Do you have a parts store nearby like an Autozone? Most of the big chain parts stores will read fault codes for free in the parking lot with a code reader.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks. But how do I get the gascap sign to disappear?

It will go away when the powertrain control module sees the problem is gone for three good trips. After the problem is repaired it will take about three days of regular driving to no longer see the warning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

From AutoZone troubleshooting PO457:

aaEvap small leak detected: explanation-The ECM has detected a large leak in the EVAP system during a system monitor test.

aa1-Defective, loose, or missing fuel cap

aa2-EVAP canister broke, hose cracked or not connected

aa3-Purge or vent solenoiod defective

aa4-Vacuum leak at engine.

I loosened and tightened the gas cap with the engine running, drove four miles to work, shut it off. Came out ten minutes later and the gascap and engine light did not come on. Drove another four miles to AutoZone and there were no more service notices. Above is the printout for the troubleshooting test.

It sounds like the gas cap issue is worked out then.

You mentioned having to hold the brake or the car will roll forward. What is the idle speed at when this happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You must hold the brake pedal down or it will slowly move forward. Did you get anything out of the codes? My concern is that this is symptomatic of a timing belt/chain problem. Do you foresee anything like that? We're taking the car in to the dealer on Friday. Car seems to be running better but the idle speed bothers us.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I lost my computer's connectivity for most of the day and evening today. I keep getting questions rather than answers; I thought I was clear that I want to know whether any of this may be a symptom of a timing chain/belt problem is in my future.

There's no need to relist the question, you simply need to hit the reply button to respond to me. I can't be there to feel or diagnose the problem in person so I have to rely on information that I receive from you through asking questions.

The fault code had set because you or someone at the dealer left the fuel cap loose, and it's not related to an idle problem.

No, this isn't a symptom of a failing timing belt, and yes you will need to replace the timing belt in the future. The timing belt has a service interval of 100,000 miles.

Back to the last question I was asking, what is the idle speed at that you think it's too high?