Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Chrysler Sebring Limited: How do I replace timing set in a

Customer Question

How do I replace timing set in a 2003 sebrin 2.7. All 3 chains and tentioners and sprockets.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

you are replacing the cam chains also?

tim's auto repair :

are you there?

Customer:

Yes I have aready done the job but the car will not start. I have 3 question. Is the cam timing makes differant from left set and right set? Is the left side marks a triangle and the right side circle punch marks.When I installed the cam gear on the left side that has the cam position sensor on it the slots on the ring where not in the same place as the one i took off like the slots near the timing mark had 3 slots and the one I took off had 1 slot

tim's auto repair :

let me get you the directions for installing the cams here

Customer:

The cams on the left side had both triangles and the punch marks.

tim's auto repair :

you go by the punch marks

Customer:

Left side I went with triangles and the only marks on the right was punch marks.

tim's auto repair :

2003 Chrysler Sebring Sedan V6-2.7L VIN R
Camshaft Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: Removal and Installation

CAMSHAFT(S)

REMOVAL
1. Remove the primary timing chain.
2. Remove secondary chain tensioner mounting bolts.

NOTE: Camshaft bearing caps have been marked during engine manufacturing. For example, number one exhaust camshaft bearing is marked "IE>"

64_cr02sebsd_9-179a.png
Full Size Image

3. Slowly loosen camshaft bearing cap bolts in reverse order of installation (Fig. 25).
4. Remove camshaft bearing caps.
5. Remove camshafts, secondary chain, and tensioner together as an assembly.
6. Remove tensioner and camshaft chain from camshafts.
7. Inspect camshafts.

INSPECTION

65_cr02sebsd_9-179b.png
Full Size Image

1. Inspect camshaft bearing journals for damage and binding (Fig. 26). If journals are binding, check the cylinder head for damage. Also check cylinder head oil holes for clogging.
2. Inspect camshaft sprockets for excessive wear. Replace camshafts if necessary

65_cr02sebsd_9-179b.png
Full Size Image

3. Check the cam lobe surfaces for abnormal wear and damage. Replace camshaft if defective. Measure the actual wear (Fig. 26) and replace, if out of limits-standard value is 0.0254 mm (0.001 inch); wear limit is 0.254 mm (0.010 inch).

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: When the timing chain is removed and the cylinder heads are installed, DO NOT rotate the camshafts or crankshaft without first locating the proper crankshaft position. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

67_cr02sebsd_9-180a.png
Full Size Image

1. Assemble camshaft chain on the cams. Ensure that plated links are facing toward the front. Align the plated links to the dot on the camshaft sprockets (Fig. 28).
2. If camshaft chain tensioner is already in the compressed and locked position, proceed to step (4).
3. When the camshaft chain tensioner is removed, it is necessary to compress and lock the tensioner using the following procedures:

66_cr02sebsd_9-179c.png
Full Size Image

a. Place tensioner into a soft jaw vise (Fig. 27).
b. SLOWLY compress tensioner until fabricated lock pin or the equivalent can be inserted into the locking holes.
c. Remove compressed and locked tensioner from the vise.
4. Insert the compressed and locked camshaft chain tensioner in-between the camshafts and chain.

67_cr02sebsd_9-180a.png
Full Size Image

5. Rotate the cams so that the plated links and dots are facing the 12:00 O'clock position (Fig. 28).
6. Install cams to cylinder head. Ensure that rocker arms are correctly seated and in proper positions.
7. Install camshaft bearing caps. Ensure that bearing caps are installed in same position as removed.

64_cr02sebsd_9-179a.png
Full Size Image

8. Tighten cam bearing cap bolts gradually in sequence shown in (Fig. 25) to 12 Nm (105 inch lbs.).
9. Install secondary chain tensioner bolts and tighten to 12 Nm (105 inch lbs.).
10. Remove locking pin from secondary tensioners.
11. Measure camshafts end play.
12. Install the primary timing chain.

tim's auto repair :

Timing Chain Service and Repair, Procedures

REMOVAL

Timing Chain
1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Drain cooling system.
3. Remove upper intake manifold.
4. Remove cylinder head covers, crankshaft vibration damper, and timing chain cover.

CAUTION: When aligning timing marks, always rotate engine by turning the crankshaft. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

08_cr03sebsd_9-219a.png
Full Size Image

5. Align crankshaft sprocket timing mark to mark on oil pump housing (Fig. 112). The mark on oil pump housing is 60 °ATDC of # XXXXX cylinder.

CAUTION: When the timing chain is removed and the cylinder heads are still installed, DO NOT rotate the camshafts or crankshaft without first locating the proper crankshaft position. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

6. Remove power steering pump and bracket as an assembly. Do not disconnect power steering lines from pump. Reposition pump and support with suitable retaining strap.

40_cr03sebsd_9-219b.png
Full Size Image

7. Remove primary timing chain tensioner retainer cap and tensioner from right cylinder head (Fig. 113).

48_cr03sebsd_9-220a.png
Full Size Image

8. Disconnect and remove camshaft position sensor from left cylinder head (Fig. 114).
9. Remove timing chain guide access plugs from cylinder heads (Fig. 114).

NOTE: When camshaft sprocket bolts are removed, the camshafts will rotate in a clockwise direction.

10. Starting with the right camshaft sprocket, remove the sprocket attaching bolts. Remove camshaft damper (if equipped) and sprocket (Fig. 114).
11. Remove left side camshaft sprocket attaching bolts and remove sprocket (Fig. 114).
12. Remove lower chain guide and tensioner arm (Fig. 114).
13. Remove the primary timing chain.
14. For removal of crankshaft sprocket, Refer to CRANKSHAFT - REMOVAL.

Crankshaft Sprocket
1. Remove primary timing chain.

CAUTION: Use care not to turn crankshaft while removing crankshaft sprocket, as damage to valves and or pistons could occur.

10_cr03sebsd_9-221a.png
Full Size Image

2. Remove crankshaft sprocket by first installing the crankshaft damper bolt. Apply grease or equivalent to damper bolt head and position Special Tools 5048-1, 5048-6, and 8539 on sprocket and crankshaft nose (Fig. 115). Remove sprocket using care not to rotate the crankshaft.

INSTALLATION

Timing Chain
1. Inspect all sprockets and chain guides. Replace if worn.
2. For crankshaft sprocket installation procedures, Refer to CRANKSHAFT - INSTALLATION.
3. If removed, install right and left side short chain guides (Fig. 114). Tighten attaching bolts to 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.).

11_cr03sebsd_9-222a.png
Full Size Image

4. Align crankshaft sprocket timing mark to the mark on oil pump housing (Fig. 116).

NOTE: Lubricate timing chain and guides with engine oil before installation.

5. Place left side primary chain sprocket onto the chain so that the timing mark is located in-between the two (plated) timing links (Fig. 116).
6. Lower the primary chain with left side sprocket through the left cylinder head opening.

NOTE: The camshaft sprockets can be allowed to float on the camshaft hub during installation.

7. Loosely position left side camshaft sprocket over camshaft hub.
8. Align timing (plated) link to the crankshaft sprocket timing mark (Fig. 116).
9. Position primary chain onto water pump drive sprocket.
10. Align right camshaft sprocket timing mark to the timing (plated) link on the timing chain (Fig. 116) and loosely position over camshaft hub.
11. Verify that all chain timing (plated) links are properly aligned to the timing marks on all sprockets (Fig. 116).
12. Install left side lower chain guide and tensioner arm (Fig. 114). Tighten attaching bolts to 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.).

NOTE: Inspect O-ring on chain guide access plugs before installing. Replace O-ring as necessary.

13. Install chain guide access plugs to cylinder heads (Fig. 114). Tighten plugs to 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.).

13_cr03sebsd_9-223a.png
Full Size Image

NOTE: To reset the primary timing chain tensioner, engine oil will first need to be purged from the tensioner (Fig. 117).

14. Purge oil from timing chain tensioner using the following procedure:
a. Place the check ball end of tensioner into the shallow end of Special Tool 8186 (Fig. 117).
b. Using hand pressure, slowly depress tensioner until oil is purged from tensioner (Fig. 117).
15. Reset timing chain tensioner using the following procedure:

15_cr03sebsd_9-224a.png
Full Size Image

a. Position cylinder plunger into the deeper end of Special Tool 8186 (Fig. 118).
b. Apply a downward force until tensioner is reset (Fig. 118).

NOTE: If oil was not first purged from the tensioner, use slight finger pressure to assist the center arm pin of Special Tool 8186 to unseat the tensioner's check ball.

CAUTION: Ensure the tensioner is properly reset. The tensioner body must bottom against the top edge of Special Tool 8186. Failure to properly perform the resetting procedure may cause tensioner jamming.

16. Install the reset chain tensioner into the right cylinder head (Fig. 113).
17. Position tensioner retaining plate and tighten bolts to 12 Nm (105 in. lbs.) (Fig. 113).
18. Starting at the right cylinder bank, first position the camshaft damper (if equipped) on camshaft hub, then insert a 3/8" square drive extension with a breaker bar into intake camshaft drive hub. Rotate camshaft until the camshaft hub aligns to the camshaft sprocket and damper attaching holes. Install the sprocket attaching bolts and tighten to 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.) (Fig. 114).
19. Turn the left side camshaft by inserting a 3/8" square drive extension with a breaker bar into intake camshaft drive hub and rotate camshaft until the sprocket attaching bolts can be installed. Tighten sprocket bolts to 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.) (Fig. 114).
20. Rotate engine slightly clockwise to remove timing chain slack, if necessary.

17_cr03sebsd_9-224b.png
Full Size Image

21. Activate the timing chain tensioner by using a flat bladed pry tool to gently pry tensioner arm towards the tensioner slightly (Fig. 119). Then release the tensioner arm. Verify the tensioner is activated (extends).
22. Install power steering pump and bracket assembly.
23. Install camshaft position sensor and connect electrical connector.
24. Install the timing chain cover, crankshaft vibration damper, and cylinder head covers.
25. Install upper intake manifold.

NOTE: After installation of a reset tensioner, engine noise will occur after initial start-up. This noise will normally disappear within 5 - 10 seconds.

26. Fill cooling system.
27. Connect negative battery cable.

Crankshaft Sprocket

76_cr03sebsd_9-225a.png
Full Size Image

1. Install crankshaft sprocket using Special Tools 6780-1 and 8179 (Fig. 120) until sprocket bottoms against crankshaft step flange. Use care not to rotate crankshaft.

77_cr03sebsd_9-225b.png
Full Size Image

2. Verify that crankshaft sprocket is installed to proper depth by measuring from sprocket outer face to end of crankshaft (Fig. 121). Measurement should read: 39.05 ± 0.50 mm (1.5374 ± 0.020 in.).
3. Install primary timing chain.

tim's auto repair :
Customer:

Why are there 2 sets of marks on the left side?

tim's auto repair :

that,i dont know

Customer:

If I do not have the 8186 tool what came I use.

tim's auto repair :

but,,go by the dots on both heads

tim's auto repair :

use a vise

tim's auto repair :

and a socket

tim's auto repair :

that will fit over the tensioner

Customer:

Do I bleed the oil out with a small screw driver and what about the timing ring being differant?

tim's auto repair :

?

Customer:

What about the ring being differant

tim's auto repair :

the ring?

Customer:

The cam position ring slots where not in the same place as the one I took off.

tim's auto repair :

did the car run before?

Customer:

yes

tim's auto repair :

the reluctor ring?

Customer:

The one that is on the left intake cam

tim's auto repair :

the reluctor...

tim's auto repair :

what kind of job did you do?

tim's auto repair :

why replacement of the reluctor?

Customer:

I repalced both cam gears

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

how would the ring end up different?

tim's auto repair :

only gos one way

Customer:

It came that way .It is riveted to the gear.

tim's auto repair :

the gear only gos one way

tim's auto repair :

it is right

Customer:

The slot on the gear I took off nea the timing mark has 1 slot the one I put on had 3 slots.

tim's auto repair :

what brand is the gear?

tim's auto repair :

you lost me here

Customer:

Do not know the owner bought in on line.

tim's auto repair :

are the slots where the cam sensor reads?

Customer:

Yes but there 6 slotted positions on the ring . By the timing mark there is 1 slot then 2 slots then 3 slots then 1 slot then 3 slots and last 2 slots.

tim's auto repair :

this is right

Customer:

If they rivited it 180 out would that prevent the car from starting?

tim's auto repair :

tell me..is the old gear worn?

Customer:

no

tim's auto repair :

use it

tim's auto repair :

you may have a defected part

Customer:

I think that is the problem

Customer:

thanks

tim's auto repair :

and,,i dont want to tell you it will work,,when it may not

tim's auto repair :

so,,,use the old gear

tim's auto repair :

it isnt likley for tyhe cam gears to be worn

tim's auto repair :

then,,time it as above...and you should be ready to go

tim's auto repair :
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.