a dodgetech
a dodgetech, Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Tech 15+ Years of A/C and Electrical and Body Mechanical
17611435

2006 Chrysler Town & Country: rear wheels studs..van..removing..nuts

How do i replace the rear wheels studs on a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country van? The rear carries brake shoes and drum setup.Two of the studs were broken off while removing the wheel nuts.

proautotech :

Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a shop foreman. I will be helping you today.

proautotech :

Click here

proautotech :

Click here

proautotech :

Once the wheel is removed. You can attempt to do this without removal of the spindle.

proautotech :

You will need to get it in a vice and pound the old studs out. Using a torch to heat them first can be very helpful.

Customer:

Hi Proautotech,
Your diagrams only relate to wheel and wheel cover removal.I need instructions for actual stud removal and installation.

proautotech :

proautotech :

proautotech :

I have no diagrams for this.

proautotech :

Sorry.

Customer:

Could you tell me then how to go about doing this process.

proautotech :

Use a torch heat them up and pound them out.

Customer:

Can i access the back of the flange to install the wheel studs without removing the shoes?

proautotech :

It will be way more difficult.

Customer:

Okay, you haven't told me the process as yet.I am still waiting.

proautotech :

I am pretty sure I gave you the needed information.

proautotech :

The studs are pressed in.

proautotech :

You need to heat them up and pound them out. The other way is removing the spindle inserting into a press.

Customer:

Do i have to remove the brake shoes?

proautotech :

You will want to .

proautotech :

You need the space in order to swing the hammer. If you end up hitting the shoes replacement will be in order.

Customer:

Please, if you cannot help me further pass me on to another expert.

Can I get the last 8 of the vin# XXXXX
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last 8 digits:6B583284.

If a wheel stud needs to be replaced in the hub and bearing assembly, the studs MUST NOT be hammered out of the hub flange. If a wheel stud is removed by hammering it out of the hub flange, damage to the hub and bearing assembly will occur leading to premature hub and bearing failure.

Use one of the following procedures to remove one of five studs on a hub and bearing flange

Remove the disc brake caliper to adapter guide pin bolts

Remove the rear brake caliper from the adapter using the following procedure

Rotate the front of the caliper up from the adapter.

Pull the rear of the caliper and the outboard brake shoe anti-rattle clip out from under the rear abutment on the brake adapter

Lift the caliper from the rotor and support it using a bungee cord or wire attached to the underbody of the vehicle. DO NOT allow the caliper to hang by the flex hose. Damage can result

Remove any brake rotor retainer clips, then remove the brake rotor by pulling it straight off the wheel studs.

Remove the hold-down spring and pin from the trailing parking brake shoe

Shorten (back off) the adjuster screw to minimum length, then spread the leading and trailing parking brake shoes apart and remove the adjuster.

Remove the lower return spring from the leading and trailing parking brake shoes

Pull the bottom of the trailing parking brake shoe rearward and retain it on the backing plate flange of the brake adapter

Install Remover. ball joint press (available at the auto parts store usually free rental) on the hub and bearing flange and wheel stud

Tighten the Remover, pushing the wheel mounting stud out the rear of the hub and bearing flange. When the shoulder of the stud is past the flange, remove the Remover

Rotate the hub and bearing flange around until the stud lines up with the pocket in the brake adapter, then remove the stud from the hub and bearing flange utilizing the extra clearance that pocket allows

if you have drum brakes you should be able to just use the remover without removing the brake shoes.

graphic

graphic

a dodgetech, Technician
Experience: Chrysler Master Tech 15+ Years of A/C and Electrical and Body Mechanical
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi a dodgetech,
Thanks for responding so quickly. I had to step away from the computer and i like your answers together with the diagrams. Could not ask for more........just what i wanted.I will now accept.
Thankyou