Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chrysler Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

How do i change a crank sensor on a 98 sebring convertible 2.5l V6

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 4 years ago.

Welcome,

Do you have a regular set of metric wrenches and sockets?

Also i need the 8th digit in the vin # XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

both and H

If the 8th digit of the VIN # XXXXX XXXXX letter H follow the instructions below;

1. Crankshaft position sensor is located on top of transaxle housing, just below the distributor. See Fig. 9 .

Remove speed control servo from strut tower for access to crankshaft position sensor.

2. Disconnect electrical connector at crankshaft position sensor. Remove bolt and crankshaft position sensor.

Installation

1. If reusing crankshaft position sensor, clean old paper spacer from flywheel end of crankshaft position sensor. Install NEW paper spacer on flywheel end of crankshaft position sensor.

2. On all crankshaft position sensors, install crankshaft position sensor in transaxle housing. Push crankshaft position sensor downward until it contacts the flywheel.
3. Install and tighten bolt for crankshaft position sensor to specification while holding crankshaft position sensor against flywheel.Reinstall electrical connector and speed
control servo.

graphic

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for asking!

Larry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how do i get to it? I've got the valve cover half off but cant reach the back bolt. I've got the throttle cables off and still cant reach it

I usually just remove the spark plug wires and the distributor cap and then go in under the distributor with a swivel socket. You might nave to remove the speed control servo to gain enough room.

(make sure to mark the wires if you remove them from the dist cap)

Larry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i still dont see it under the distributor,just two hoses. does it make a difference if its a convertible
Let me check...

it is the 2.5 VIN H right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the complete number is XXXXX
Yes the convertible is different :-(

it is directly under the Distributor, about 4 inches below, inwards toward the Transaxle "bell". Almost dead-center in the back of the engine.

Some manuals say to take the battery out first, but that only opens a path to see it about 2' away. Once you have the Air Filter off and the air manifold that runs to the engine, take off the horn assembly to gain very, very limited access to wedge an extended ratchet into the bowels of the engine.

I think the same socket that undid the horn assembly fit the CKP nut. It takes about 10 minutes to undo the bolt a couple ratchet clicks at a time, at least 15 to get the thing to wiggle out, probably 15 minutes to reconnect, reconnect, and snap back to the frame the wire harness, and at least another 10 minutes to ratchet the bolt back in click by click. That's why shops charge $500 in to do this -

There is a pretty easy way to remove the bolt on the CPS. Remove the front left tire then remove the plastic inner fender liner. You'll have a straight shot at the bolt (10 mm i think) but you will need 30 inches of extension to reach it. If you go that route you will save a BUNCH of time and hassel.

Best wishes and thanks for asking!

Larry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hOW DOES THE DISTRIBUTOR COME OFF?
You just remove the plastic distributor cap.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can barely see it, is it screws, clamps, clips and how many?

Yes, its very hard to see. It's held in place with (1).... 10mm bolt. and an electrical connector

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, the distributor
Remove air inlet resonator retaining bolt from intake manifold. Loosen air cleaner cover clamps. Remove PCV air hose from air inlet tube.

2. Loosen clamp at throttle body. Remove air inlet tube, resonator and air cleaner cover. Remove EGR pipe from upper intake manifold. Identify spark plug wires at distributor cap for installation reference. Remove spark plug wires from distributor cap. Remove distributor cap.

3. Mark rotor position for installation reference. Remove rotor. Disconnect electrical connectors from distributor. Remove distributor hold-down nuts and washers.

4. Remove spark plug wire mounting bracket from top of distributor housing. Remove transmission dipstick tube if necessary. Remove distributor with "O" ring from engine.

--------------------------------------------
Installation-

1. Install NEW "O" ring on distributor if "O" is damaged. Install rotor on distributor. If engine was rotated after removing distributor, go to next step. If engine was not rotated after removing distributor, go to step5).

2. Rotate engine so cylinder No. 1 is at TDC on compression stroke. Cylinder No. 1 is the front cylinder on right side when viewed from flywheel end of engine.

3. Rotate rotor so it aligns with spark plug wire terminal for cylinder No. 1 on distributor cap. Install distributor. Ensure rotor is still aligned with spark plug wire terminal for cylinder No. 1 on distributor cap and distributor is fully seated.

4. Install and tighten distributor hold-down nuts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. To install remaining components, reverse removal procedure. Tighten EGR pipe-to-upper intake manifold bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.

5. Install distributor. Ensure rotor is positioned in original location. Install and tighten distributor hold-down nuts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. Install distributor cap and spark plug wires.

6. To install remaining components, reverse removal procedure. Tighten EGR pipe-to-upper intake manifold bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.

Hello Jay,

I'm getting ready to leave the shop now. Is there any further questions you have for tonight. Remember that you can always ask follow up questions right here for no additional charge once you accept my help.

Larry