sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2006 Chrysler: No further problems.

I have a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country that started dying shortly after fill-ups. We figured out that was due to overfilling and stopped. No further problems. A few weeks later, we were at a gas station and the auto stop on the pump failed. The tank grossly overfilled and was pouring down the side of the van before we could get to it to stop it. We started the car, expecting it to die within 50 feet as it had before, but nothing. It drove fine. Two days after that, we got an engine light and the codes that flash are 0440 and 0441. My husband is troubleshooting and a few possible culprits have been ruled out (including solenoids) but I'm wondering if anyone knows of specific damage that could have been done by the overfilling of the tank that could provide a better place to start looking for problems. Could the gross overfilling of the tank ruin the carbon canister? My husband has found an online list of things to check and the vacuum switch is at the top of the list but we can find no reference to it in our van's manual and don't know where it is.

Any help?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

.

P0440 is a general failure of the evaporative emissions system, and P0441 is for the performance of the evap system's purge solenoid. It's very likely that both codes have set because of the same failure.

.

The problem could be one of many things. It could be lack of vacuum to the purge solenoid. The purge solenoid's vacuum comes off the back of the intake just under the throttle body and goes up to the solenoid. Sometimes the hose will come off at the throttle body.

.

It could be the purge solenoid itself.

.

It could be a damaged or pinched line between the purge solenoid and vapor canister.

.

It could be the canister itself or another very large leak in any of the evap system lines, but this would be much more likely to set a large leak code.

.

It could be the natural vacuum leak detector (NVLD). A bad NVLD is by far the most common cause of either of these two codes. The NVLD is mounted to the lower metal subframe under the aluminum subframe in the front, mounted just to the left of center. It's the unit that checks the evap system for leaks. When an intrusive leak test is ran, the purge solenoid turns on to pull a slight vacuum on the tank and evap system. When it gets down to one inch of vacuum in the system a switch in the NVLD should close. If the switch doesn't close then it will set either a P0440 or P0441.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to test the NVLD, with basic tools, to make sure it is working correctly?...I'm assuming it is a simple switch in the NVLD and it is the PCM that commands it on/off when it senses the one inch of vacuum.
Testing the NVLD would require a hand vacuum pump and a full capability scan tool to monitor the switch. You would need to use the vacuum pump to draw vacuum on the NVLD while monitoring the switch on the scan tool, if it didn't close at one inch of vacuum then the NVLD would need to be replaced. Since you probably don't have the tools to diagnose it properly, if you're wanting to repair it yourself instead of taking it to a shop I would recommend looking over all lines for damage or leaks (starting from the purge vacuum source and working your way to the canister), and if all lines are ok then I would replace the NVLD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Just to summarize...p0440 and p0441 were displayed using an OBD II scan tool. After researching the fault codes and starting with "easy" first, I replaced the gas cap, checked for voltage at the purge solenoid (~11v with eng off, key on). Did a cold start and voltage goes to 0v. I removed the solenoid and was able to hold a vacuum on it until I applied 9v to it (solenoid functions properly). A visual inspection of the lines from the purge solenoid to the manifold and in/around the canister check out okay (as best as I could see with out having the van on a lift). I am down to the NVLD and the canister. If all checks out okay I should change the NVLD, as you suggest. Is it necesarry, or would it be wise, to change the canister also, at the same time, since I'm there? Or does that part rarely go "bad" to warrant changing it because it's convenient?

I would go ahead and replace the NVLD at this point with everything that you've already done. It's the most common cause of these codes and it sounds like you've ruled out the rest of the system.

.

If you find liquid fuel in the canister or physical damage to it then it will need to be replaced, otherwise you wouldn't need to.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist