Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2003 chrysler sebring: check engine light on for about 3 days..acts

I have a 2003 chrysler sebring that had the check engine light on for about 3 days before it all the sudden died when i stopped and will not start, now it is getting no spark, the car acts like it wants to start but does not. what could it be?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.
hi
the first thing to do here,,is to scn the computer to get the codes...sense the engine light came on..there will be codes stored in the computer,,these codes may ive a clue to your problem.....from the way you explain,and you have no spark,your problem may be the crank sensor located just below the starter
thanks
03 Chrysler Sebring Sedan L4-2.4L VIN X
Crankshaft Position Sensor Locations, Components
55_cr03sebsd_pd-521c.png
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That was the code that came up on the computer, I did change that and it still wont start.
ok
the only other thing that may cause a no spark problem,,,other than the computer,,is the coil pack
thanks
2003 Chrysler Sebring Sedan L4-2.4L VIN X
Ignition Coil Locations, Components
50_cr03sebsd_pd-520c.png
2.0L/2.4L
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I purchased a new coil pack and before I put it in I tested the old one incomparicate to the new one and they both read the same, so I did not change it out as the old did not test bad. {with voltage meter)
you may want to replace it..an ohm test may not be a good test,,sense you can not duplicate the high voltage
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could the timing belt have anything to do with it? and also what other things could it be if it is not the coil pack. why would the car just die all the sudden? wouldnt it miss fire if the coil pack went out, the car was running normal before it shut off , as soon as i stopped when pulling in a drive through

Thanks

hi
yes,,you do need to check to make sure the timing belt isnt broken......
other than the coil and the crank sensor,,there is nothing left other than the pcm[computer]
thanks
Ignition System Description and Operation, Components
IGNITION SYSTEM
NOTE: All engines use a fixed ignition timing system. Basic ignition timing is not adjustable. All spark advance is determined by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

The distributorless ignition system used on these engines is referred to as the Direct Ignition System (DIS). The system's three main components are the coils, crankshaft position sensor, and camshaft position sensor. The coil on plug ignition system utilizes an ignition coil for every cylinder, it is mounted directly over the each spark plug.

The crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor are hall effect devices. The camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor generate pulses that are inputs to the PCM. The PCM determines engine position from these sensors. The PCM calculates injector sequence and ignition timing from crankshaft & camshaft position. For a description of both sensors, refer to Camshaft Position Sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor.

AUTO SHUT DOWN RELAY
The relay is located in the Power Distribution Center (PDC). For the location of the relay within the PDC, refer to the PDC cover for location. Check electrical terminals for corrosion and repair as necessary

The ASD sense circuit informs the PCM when the ASD relay energizes. A 12 volt signal at this input indicates to the PCM that the ASD has been activated. This input is used only to sense that the ASD relay is energized.

When energized, the ASD relay supplies battery voltage to the fuel injectors, ignition coils and the heating element in each oxygen sensor.

When energized, the ASD relay provides power to operate the injectors, ignition coil, generator field, O2 sensor heaters (both upstream and downstream), (EGR solenoid and PCV heater if equipped) and also provides a sense circuit to the PCM for diagnostic purposes. If the PCM does not receive 12 volts from this input after grounding the ASD relay, it sets a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). The PCM energizes the ASD any time there is a Crankshaft Position sensor signal that exceeds a predetermined value. The ASD relay can also be energized after the engine has been turned OFF to perform an O2 sensor heater test, if vehicle is equipped with OBD II diagnostics.

As mentioned earlier, the PCM energizes the ASD relay during an O2 sensor heater test. This test is performed only after the engine has been shut off. The PCM still operates internally to perform several checks, including monitoring the 02 sensor heaters.

91_cr02sebsd_8i-003.png
Fig.1 CAM Sensor/EGR Valve/PCV Valve

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
The camshaft position sensor for the 4 cylinder engine is mounted on the end of the cylinder head.

The CMP sensor contains a hall effect device that provide cylinder identification to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The sensor generates pulses as groups of notches on the camshaft sprocket pass underneath it. The PCM keeps track of crankshaft rotation and identifies each cylinder by the pulses generated by the notches on the camshaft sprocket. Crankshaft pulses follow each group of camshaft pulses.

When metal aligns with the sensor, voltage goes low (less than 0.3 volts). When a notch aligns with the sensor, voltage spikes high (5.0 volts). As a group of notches pass under the sensor, the voltage switches from low (metal) to high (notch) then back to low. The number of notches determine the amount of pulses. If available, an oscilloscope or DRB III PEP Module can display the square wave patterns of each timing event.

IGNITION COIL
The ignition coil assembly for the 4 cylinder engines consists of 2 or 3 independent coils molded together. The coil assembly for the 4 cylinder engines is mounted on the cylinder head cover. Spark plug cables route to each cylinder from the coil. The coil assemblies for the 2.7L are mounted on the intake manifold. It is a coil on plug assembly and each cylinder has an ignition coil assembly.

The coil for the 4 cylinder engines fires two spark plugs every power stroke. One plug is the cylinder under compression, the other cylinder fires on the exhaust stroke. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines which of the coils to charge and fire at the correct time.

The Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay provides battery voltage to the ignition coil. The PCM provides a ground contact (circuit) for energizing the coil. When the PCM breaks the contact, the magnetic energy in the coil transfers to the secondary causing the spark. The PCM will de-energize the ASD relay if it does not receive the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor inputs. Refer to Auto Shutdown (ASD) Relay-PCM Output, for relay operation.

IGNITION COIL CAPACITOR
There is a coil capacitor added to each bank of cylinders for radio noise suppression.

KNOCK SENSOR
The knock sensor threads into the cylinder block. The knock sensor is designed to detect engine vibration that is caused by detonation.

When the knock sensor detects a knock in one of the cylinders, it sends an input signal to the PCM. In response, the PCM retards ignition timing for all cylinders by a scheduled amount.

Knock sensors contain a piezoelectric material which constantly vibrates and sends an input voltage (signal) to the PCM while the engine operates. As the intensity of the crystal's vibration increases, the knock sensor output voltage also increases.

The voltage signal produced by the knock sensor increases with the amplitude of vibration. The PCM receives as an input the knock sensor voltage signal. If the signal rises above a predetermined level, the PCM will store that value in memory and retard ignition timing to reduce engine knock. If the knock sensor voltage exceeds a preset value, the PCM retards ignition timing for all cylinders. It is not a selective cylinder retard.

The PCM ignores knock sensor input during engine idle conditions. Once the engine speed exceeds a specified value, knock retard is allowed.

Knock retard uses its own short term and long term memory program.

Long term memory stores previous detonation information in its battery-backed RAM. The maximum authority that long term memory has over timing retard can be calibrated.

Short term memory is allowed to retard timing up to a preset amount under all operating conditions (as long as rpm is above the minimum rpm) except WOT. The PCM, using short term memory, can respond quickly to retard timing when engine knock is detected. Short term memory is lost any time the ignition key is turned OFF.

NOTE: Over or under tightening affects knock sensor performance, possibly causing improper spark control.

SPARK PLUG
Standard 4 Cylinder
All engines use resistor spark plugs. They have resistance values ranging from 6,000 to 20,000 ohms when checked with at least a 1000 volt spark plug tester.

Do not use an ohm meter to check the resistance of the spark plugs. This will give an inaccurate reading.

Refer to the Specifications section for gap and type of spark plug.

Platinum Plugs
The V6 engines use platinum resistor spark plugs. They have resistance values of 6,000 to 20,000 ohms when checked with at least a 1000 volt tester. For spark plug identification and specifications, Refer to the Specifications section.

02_cr02sebsd_8i-008a.png
Fig.12 Platinum Pads

03_cr02sebsd_8i-008b.png
Fig.13 Setting Spark Plug Electrode Gap

When the spark plugs use a single or double platinum tips and they have a recommended service life of 100,000 miles for normal driving conditions per schedule A. The spark plugs have a recommended service life of 75,000 miles for severe driving conditions per schedule B. A thin platinum pad is welded to both or center electrode end(s) as show. Extreme care must be used to prevent spark plug cross threading, misgaping and ceramic insulator damage during plug removal and installation.

CAUTION: Cleaning of the platinum plug may damage the platinum tip.

SPARK PLUG CABLE
Spark Plug cables are sometimes referred to as secondary ignition wires. The wires transfer electrical current from the ignition coil pack to individual spark plugs at each cylinder. The resistive spark plug cables are of nonmetallic construction. The cables provide suppression of radio frequency emissions from the ignition system.

Check the spark plug cable connections for good contact at the coil, and spark plugs. Terminals should be fully seated. The insulators should be in good condition and should fit tightly on the coil, and spark plugs. Spark plug cables with insulators that are cracked or torn must be replaced.

Clean Spark Plug cables with a cloth moistened with a non-flammable solvent. Wipe the cables dry. Check for brittle or cracked insulation. The spark plug cables and spark plug boots are made from high temperature silicone materials. All spark plug cable leads are properly identified with cylinder numbers. The inside of most the spark plug boot is coated with a special high temperature silicone grease for greater sealing and to minimize boot bonding to the spark plug insulator.
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The belt looks good, if its skipped notches and cause the timing off, would that cause this problem?

Thanks

yes,,this could cause a no start problem.
thanks