George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

dex-cool or mopar coolant in my 2004 Sering Convertible

Does it matter if I use Dex-cool or Mopar coolant in my 2004 Sering Convertible 2.7l?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

These are almost the same chemistry (HOAT and OAT) so you can use the DexCool if necessary but the Mopar is the Hybrid type that has silicates as well as the Organic Acid Technology of the DexCool so it will provide protection for more of the system.

If you have a choice use the Mopar but the Dexcool will work.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I have system flushed and replace coolant with Mopar? After all of the work I have had done, temp gauge still floats and coolant level rises about 4" from fill line. I have an aftermarket radiator cap, should I replace that with a Chrylser cap? I don't know what to do next.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

It does not sound like coolant is your issue, you need to pout a pressure gauge on the system and see if you have excess pressure and then do a combustion gas check to see if you have a leaking head gasket.

Sorry but changing the coolant will not make it cool any better.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had a CO2 test done for the head gasket, tested negative. System was just bled when new Chrysler t-stat installed. Pressure test done as well. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The pressure test was likely to see if you had a leak, I am describing a test to see if the headgasket is leaking.

The CO2 test is not accurate enough to see if there is a small leak, it MAY disclose a huge leak but the fluid will not change inn the presence of small amounts of contaminates. A 5 gas analyzer is a better choice for testing and like any test the results will depend on the skill of the tech using the tool. There are specific procedure that must be followed but what you are describing with the coolant being pushed out of the system is a gasket leak.

There has to be pressure to push the coolant out.

Sorry but chasing this without determining if the cause is a headgasket is not going to find the problem.

Let me know what i can do to help you with this

Thank you