Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Chrysler Diagnostics

2005 Chrysler 300 Touring: It wont shift out of park

I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 Touring, It wont shift out of park, Is there anything I can do?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

First- check your rear brake lights and see if they are working when you step on the brake pedal.

If the lights are NOT working, the problem will be in the Brake Light Switch, located at the top of the brake pedal arm. This switch controls the brake lights as well as sends a signal to the Shift Interlock, telling it to release when the pedal is depressed.

If the lights ARE working, then this will be a problem internal of the Shifter Assembly. Chrysler has issued a Recall that will fix the problem for FREE.

This is actually a HUGE problem for Dodge/Chrysler, and they have issued a Recall (of sorts) #K39. THe problem is a broken srping retainer internal of the shifter assembly. The recall will have them remove the shifter assembly, and "rebuild" it for you, absolutely Free. Unfortunately, due to the location of the break, not even the "over-ride" procedure will work.

Here is the "offical" word from Dodge/Chrysler:

Customer Satisfaction Notification K39

Transmission Shifter Interlock Lever

At Chrysler Group LLC, you can be assured that we are changing the way we look at quality. To prove our commitment to quality, the company is investing in and prioritizing improvements for every vehicle that we build. As part of that commitment, we are also targeting existing vehicles on the road today and contacting our customers to provide these quality improvements, at no charge, that will help to improve your ownership satisfaction.

We are recommending the following improvements be performed on some 2005 through 2007 model year Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 equipped with a floor shifter.

The transmission gear shift lever interlock return spring hook on your vehicle may break. A broken interlock return spring hook will result in the inability to move the gear shift lever out of the "PARK" position.

What your dealer will do:
Chrysler will service your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the transmission shifter interlock lever. The work will take about one hour to complete. We recommend that you make an appointment with your dealer to minimize your inconvenience

What you should do:
Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge dealer, at your convenience, to schedule a service appointment. Your dealer will collect the necessary information to ensure that the appropriate parts are available so your service can be completed in a timely manner. Although not required, we recommend bringing this letter with you to your dealer, when you bring your vehicle in for this service.

If you need help:
Please contact the Chrysler Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.

There is an "over-ride" procedure, but, if the problem is related to the recall above, it usually doesn't work. If the over-ride does not work, you now know you need the above repair.

BTSI Override
In the event of an electrical failure, the vehicle can be shifted out of PARK by using the following procedure.

1. -Turn the key to the ACC or ON position.
  2. -Remove the liner to the cubby bin to the right side of the shifter.graphic
  3. -Depress the BTSI override (2) on the side of the shifter assembly (1).

4. -While the override is depressed, move the shifter out of the PARK position.

5. -Return the cubby bin liner to its original location.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the brakes work fine. Could it be anything else besides the Shifter Assembly recall?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

No. If the brake lights are fine, and the over-ride does not work, you need the recall procedure done.