sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

my battery light comes on when everything is on

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Does it stay on when the engine is running?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes if i shut off heater wipers radio. light still stays on. I notice when i pull up to a stop light it made a little squeal. I shut everything off and drove 10 miles or so, shut car off and reststarted light was off

If the battery light is staying on when the engine is running that means the charging system is either overcharging the battery or undercharging the battery.

Since you mentioned a squeal the first thing I would recommend is visually inspecting the belts and pulleys to make sure nothing is damaged or missing there, if the alternator isn't being properly driven by the belt then it can't charge properly.

From there the next step will be to see what fault codes have set. If you don't have a code reader or scan tool of your own most large parts stores will read fault codes for free. There should be a code set that will help determine if it was under or overcharging.

The problem would need to be diagnosed at the time the light is staying on. Possible causes would be the battery itself, cables and connections, the alternator, it's wiring, and the powertrain control module. The alternator itself is the most common cause of charging problems.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your answer was ok. But i had thought of battery,alternator,and belt which means I'll still have to take it to a garage to have it tested
Do you have the means to do the diagnostics and work yourself? You'll need a battery load tester and digital voltmeter along with a code reader or scan tool. If you have the equipment and need help along the way I can help you. If diagnosing and repairing it yourself isn't an option then there's no choice but to take it to a shop.