garrtim
garrtim, service manager
Experience:  20+ years chrysler certified
6531745

2009 Town & country: 50,000 miles..new rotors and pads..screw..piston

I have a 2009 Town & Country.... well I got 50,000 miles and the rear brakes are shot. Pads are down to nothing..... WEll I got new rotors and pads and took the driver rear caliper off and tried to push back in.... well I did not know it at the time but it is a screw in type caliper, I thought it was froze up. (my bad), I could not get a replacement that day so what I did was take a small ball peen hammer and starting tapping the piston and it slowly did go back into place. My question is IS the caliper shot because I did that or not? I put the old parts back on because I thought I needed to order a new caliper. After putting it back on I did pump the brakes and it came back out and seem to be ok. I just do not want to put on the new parts and have this thing eat those up in 10,000 miles. I have heard here in snow country (WI) that the steel shims get rust under them and hold the pad in place and does not float and causes them to wear out early. My dealer was not alot of help either way..... just wondering is there any tricks to use anti-sieze or something to keep them from getting rusted and tight. Also is that rear caliper need to be replaced? Or should I just replace both with a better replacement. Thanks!

garrtim :

good morning -- the brake caliper should be ok -- if it went in and out and we have no fluid leaks -- I would not worry about that - as far as the brake pads - I see alot of this concern of the pads seizing up in the brake slides -- what we do is grind the pad down a little so it slides freere in the brake slide--

Customer:

Hey Good morning.... hey that is a great idea, grind it down so it is more free to move around. I will definitely try that. So you don't think I did any damage to that caliper then? Like I said, he seemed to pump out fine. One guy said it may have ruined the parking brake mechanism in there but he was not sure. I don't have a clue, just want to be sure before I put my new pads and rotors on. I bought the slotted and holes in the rotor made by Powerstop. Brake Disc and Pad Kit I did some reading that they were good. Do you know anything about them? They look nice and have a ceramic pad. I will clean them up and grind them down a bit then. Like I said I just don't want to ruin my new parts and if I had to replace that caliper I would. I figure someone here would know.

garrtim :

it should be fine -- and the ceramic pads are good for noise reduction and will not turn wheel black with grime

garrtim :

sounds like you will be fine

garrtim :

any more info required--please let me know -- thanks --tim

Customer:

Ok sounds good. Is the 2009 known for having crappy brakes? Kind of sounds like that from what I've read but I don't believe everything I read out on the internet. Thanks again for the tips.

garrtim :

not bad brakes -- just a bad design -- no tolerance --on the slides-- the slightest rust -- makes them stick -- take care and thank you -- tim

Customer:

Gotcha..... I will grind them down a bit. How much do you take off each side? Makes sense they have some room to float on that stainless clip.

Customer:

Tim, got the job done last weekend. All is good. I did grind down the sides of pad a bit so they slide easier. I cleaned up the stainless slides and put a small film of anti-sieze on them. That caliper is fine as well, i tested the parking brake too and it works on that side just fine. Thanks again for all your help.