Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)

Chrysler 300 C: my 2005 Chrysler 300c cannot crank or start,

my 2005 Chrysler 300c cannot crank or start, the TCM is failing to communicate and the shifter is not indicating the gear position, when in Park it does not show it's in pack rather it is showing that it is in all gear position

[R] [N] [D] instead of park

R N D. What will be responsible for this?

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you.. It sounds like your PRNDL switch is bad..

OPERATION

With the selector lever in position "D", the transmission control module (TCM) automatically shifts the gears that are best-suited to the current operating situation. This means that shifting of gears is continuously adjusted to current driving and operating conditions in line with the selected shift range and the accelerator pedal position. Starting off is always performed in 1st gear.

The selector lever positions are determined by a sensor assembly internal to the shift lever assembly (SLA). The sensor assembly identifies the various positions of the SLA according to the following table.

Shift Lever Position Bit 0 Bit 1 Bit 2 Bit 3
Default0000
"D"1010
"N"0110
"R"1110
"P"0001
"+"1001
"-"0101
"ND"1101
"RN"0011
"PR"1011
Implausible1111

The current selector lever position or, if the shift range has been limited, the current shift range is indicated in the instrument cluster display.

The permissible shifter positions and transmission operating ranges are:

• P = Parking lock and engine starting.

• R = Reverse.

• N = Neutral and engine starting (no power is transmitted to the axles).

• D = The shift range includes all forward gears.

The shift range can be adjusted to the current operating conditions by tipping the selector lever to the left-hand side ("-") or the right-hand side ("+") when in position "D". If the shift range is limited, the display in the instrument cluster indicates the selected shift range and not the currently engaged gear.

• 4= Shift range is limited to gears 1 to 4.

• 3= Shift range is limited to gears 1 to 3.

• 2= Shift range is limited to gears 1 to 2.

• 1= Shift range is limited to the 1st gear.

Tipping the shift lever will have the following results:

• Tipping the selector lever toward "-" one time after another: The shift range is reduced in descending sequence by one gear each time, i.e., from D - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1. If the selected limitation of the shift range would result in a downshift causing excessive engine speed, the shifting is not executed and the engaged gear as well as the shift range remain unchanged. This is to prevent the engine from overspeeding. Engine retardation is low with the selector lever in position "D". To make use of the full braking power of the engine, "manual" downshifting by tipping the lever towards the left-hand side is recommended. If this has been done, subsequent upshifting must be carried out manually as well.

• Tipping the selector lever toward "-" and holding it in this position: The currently engaged gear in range "D" is indicated in the instrument cluster display and the shift range is limited to this gear.

• Tipping the selector lever toward "+" one time after another: The shift range is increased by one gear each time and the increased shift range is displayed in the instrument cluster; possibly, the transmission upshifts to a faster gear.

• Tipping the selector lever toward "+" several times: The shift range is increased by one gear each time the lever is tipped until the shift range ends up in "D".

• Tipping the selector lever toward "+" and holding it in this position: The shift range is extended immediately to "D", shift ranges are indicated in ascending sequence; possibly, the transmission upshifts to a faster gear due to the extension of the shift range.

You need a new shifter assy

If you need anything else, feel free to ask

Thanks,
    Brad

Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brad

Thanks for taking time to answer my question, but why is the TCM not communication in this situation?
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Are you meaning that the TCM will not communicate with a scantool if you plug it in? Try unplugging the shaifter to see if TCM starts communicating with scantool..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brad, I think that when trying to access the TCM with the scan tool, it could not, it says connecting failed, but the ECM was accessible and was able to comunicate, secondly, the park light (rear/brake light) is continuosly on and does not go off except the battery terminals are disconnected. I wonder what is the cause of all thses exactly. What do you think?
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
If you can connect to all the other modules except for the TCM, unplug the Shifter...And if you still can't connect to the TCM..Check the Power's and grounds to TCM.. If all good replace the TCM....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, Brad,

Does it mean that if the TCM fails, the PRNDL will not fuction and will not indicate the position of the shifter and the vehicle will not start?
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

The vehicle should still start if TCM has failed.. I have replaced TCM's that were faulty and customer drove to dealership... Another are to look is the WCM on that model.. They are bad about going out, since it wont crank over... Can you communicate with WCM? What codes are in PCM?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brad,

How are you today? I hope great!, the WCM communicated and gave the following codes B1A25
B1A35
U2000
B3B2B

The TCM and BCM were unable to communicate and the I don't know why the park light (brake light ) remains on always except the battery terminal is disconnected.

During the removal of the dash panel the steering column was removed and the Technician cut the steering control wires and later join them and tape them after re-installation, all the connectors were connected properly and after that the vehicle was unable to start and the dash panel was removed for the second time to make sure the wires and connectors were inspected once again and still the vehicle could not start. Before the removal of the dash panel the vehicle was working perfect with no problem.

Why is the park light on always? is this an indication that there is misup on wire some where on what?
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Let me get the info on thsoe codes... I will post them back...

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Here are the codes:
B1A35-UNIDENTIFIED KEY COMMUNICATION ERROR
The other 2 aren't Chrysler codes..

And they need to recheck the wires.. The parking lights shouldn't be on...
After they recheck all the wires.. Disconnect battery for 10-15 min then reconnect..

If the B1A35 comes back, try another key if you have one.. If it doen't start it.. Replace WCM/SKREEM Module..

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brad,

Do you mean I have to get a new key? because the two keys I have are the original keys
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brad,

Do you mean I have to get a new key? because the two keys I have are the original keys or do I need to re-program the keys again?
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
The code means that the key is bad or the actual Skim module.. It's cheaper to try a new key.. Then if that don't do it, replace the SKIM...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the Skim the same thing as WCM/SKREEM Module? , secondly, my major concern is the abnormality in the PRNDL which does not change when the shifter is moved from one position to another,
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Yes the SKIM is the same as SKREEM/WCM.. And after you get the vehicle started, you may need to replace the shifter..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Brad, thanks very much I appreciate all your effort, time and advise, I will try what you have said and let you know.

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome...

Register Here