Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)

Town and Country Key stuck

Customer Question

We have a Town and Country Van 2008 and the key will not come out of the ignition. We can only turn the key to the position "ACC". Is there a way to remove the key and fix the problem. Phillip Dallas, TX.

We have tried putting it in and out of gear and pulling out the key but this has not helped.

We are now having difficulty putting the vehicle in reverse.

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.. In order to correctly repair this issue you will need to perform some tests.. I will post them here:

FOBIK TRAPPED IN WIN

The Fob with Integrated Key (FOBIK) cannot be rotated to the LOCK position, allowing it to be removed from the ignition switch also referred to as the Wireless Ignition Node/WIN. The automatic transmission or transaxle is shifted mechanically through a cable from the gearshift lever mechanism to the transmission or transaxle valve body. A gated park switch is physically located on and integral to the gearshift lever mechanism and is hard wired directly to the WIN. The gated park switch is a simple plunger-like actuated open or closed contact switch that could be considered redundant to the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) except that it monitors the position selected with the gearshift lever, while the TRS monitors the position or gear of the transmission or transaxle that is actually engaged. A damaged or improperly adjusted gearshift cable could result in a different gear being engaged than that which is selected. The WIN uses the gated park switch input to control an internal key lock solenoid, which controls whether the FOBIK can be rotated to the LOCK position. When the gearshift lever is not in the PARK position, the gated park switch is a closed circuit, the key lock solenoid is energized and the FOBIK cannot be rotated to the LOCK position for removal.

CONDITION

POSSIBLE CAUSES

CORRECTION

CANNOT TURN FOBIK TO LOCK POSITION1. Damaged, binding or improperly adjusted gearshift cable.1. Inspect and replace or adjust gearshift cable, if required.
2. Damaged or binding gearshift lever mechanism.2. Inspect and replace or adjust gearshift lever mechanism.
3. No gated park switch input to WIN.3. Use a diagnostic scan tool with software release version 8.05 or greater to read and confirm no gated park switch input to the WIN. Refer to the appropriate CONDITION that follows.
4. Key lock solenoid (WIN) unresponsive to gated park switch input.4. Use a diagnostic scan tool with software release version 8.05 or greater to read and confirm gated park switch input to the WIN. Refer to the appropriate CONDITION that follows.
NO GATED PARK SWITCH INPUT1. Open TRS park signal circuit.1. Repair the open TRS park signal circuit between the gated park switch (gearshift lever mechanism) and the WIN, if required
2. Damaged or ineffective gated park switch.2. Replace the damaged or ineffective gated park switch (gearshift lever mechanism), if required.
KEY LOCK SOLENOID UNRESPONSIVE TO GATED PARK SWITCH INPUT1. Damaged or ineffective key lock solenoid.1. Replace the damaged or ineffective key lock solenoid (WIN), if required.
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brad,

We took it into a chrysler dealer and they replaced the gear shift lever mechanism. They said it was not recognizing park. That replacement fixed the problem.

Thanks

Phillip

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

You are welcome!!!!

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer!!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Have a greatday,

Brad