Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Chrysler PT Cruiser: My PT wont start. It turns over but doesnt

My PT won't start. It turns over but doesn't start, like it out of gas but it has gas.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.. Did it just shut off while driving?

Brad :

And is check engine light on?

Customer:

no it was turned off. but it has been sputtering on ocassion for awhile now

Customer:

no check engine light

Brad :

Ok, have you noticed if it sounds the same as it always has when you try and start it, or does it sound differently?

Customer:

sounds thre same

Brad :

Ok, do you have a 8mm wrench or socket?

Customer:

yes

Brad :

I don't know your mechanical skills but we are going to see if the timing belt is fine.. Do you know where your Cam sensor is located?

Customer:

no

Brad :

It's on the drivers side of the head.. It has (2) 8mm bolts.. Here is a pic

Full Size Image

Brad :

I'd like for you to remove it

Customer:

ok, i am sure i can find that but i am not by my car. it is stranded on the side of the road. was hopeing to see if there are a thing or two i can try before i haveto call a tow truck

Brad :

Ok, I would like for you to remove the sensor and get an assistant to start engine while you watch the cam and see if it turns... You will need to look where you removed the sensor on the head.. If it moves that is good.. If it doesnt move, you have a broke timing belt...

Next, take some Brake cleaner/Carb Cleaner... Spray into throttlebody, see if it starts..
And also if you can remove one of the plugs to see if you are getting spark will be helpful..

Customer:

ok that all sounds good. Lets just say the belts fine and working. If it has spark anything simple i can check for?

Customer:

Same for if no spark any simple things to chack for?

Brad :

Well no spark will mean that cam or crank sensor is bad.. We will need to ohm some wires to test..

Brad :

Check fuses.. Thats all the simple stff

Customer:

ok, that gives me at least some stuff to try. i will see what i can find with the info you gave . and hope it start otherwise i will just bite the bullet and get it towed.

Customer:

thanks for the help

Brad :

You are more than welcome

Brad :

Well I want to Thank You for choosing JustAnswer. It was my pleasure assisting you, and if you have any future questions feel free to Request me

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-dodgetech77/ Thank you and have a greatday!!!!! Brad