Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair shop owner
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical

Chrysler Town & Country: Replaced the battery in the key

Replaced the battery in the key fob for my 2008 Chrysler Town & Country. Now (apparently), I need to re-program the car to accept signals from that key fob.

All the online instructions I have read are poorly written (or is it just me) with regard to clearly specifying which key fob (working or non-working) is to be used in which situation.

Are you able to provide a sequence of instructions that CLEARLY and without ambiguity explains how to re-program the car to accept the updated key fob?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.

welcome to Just Answer.
Here is how to reprogram the modules.

MODULE PROGRAMMING

The Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) controls the Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS), Remote Keyless Entry (RKE). When a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is in need of replacement, perform the following steps in order:

NOTE: The PCM and the WIN should never be replaced at the same time. They should be replaced independently of each other.
1. If applicable, first replace the PCM with the original WIN still connected to the vehicle.
2. Using a scan tool program the new PCM. (This will ensure the transfer of the Secret Key data from the original WIN into the new PCM).
3. Replace the WIN, using the scan tool program the new WIN module. This will transfer the Secret Key data from the PCM into the new WIN.
4. With the scan tool reprogram the key FOBIK to the new WIN.
5. Ensure all the customer's keys have been programmed to the new module.

NOTE: If the original keys do not successfully program to the new WIN after the proper procedures are followed correctly, programming new keys will be necessary.

PROGRAMMING THE SECRET KEY TO THE WIN

The secret key is an ID code that is unique to each WIN. This code is programmed and stored in the WIN, the PCM, and each ignition key transponder chip. When the PCM or WIN is replaced, it is necessary to program the Secret Key Code into the new module using a diagnostic scan tool. Follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for PCM REPLACED, WIN REPLACED, or TIPM REPLACED under MISCELLANEOUS FUNCTIONS for the WIRELESS CONTROL MODULE menu item as appropriate.

NOTE: Programming the PCM or WIN is done using a diagnostic scan tool and a PIN to enter secure access mode. If three attempts are made to enter secure access mode using an incorrect PIN, secure access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition to the RUN position for one hour and then enter the correct PIN. Be certain that all accessories are turned OFF. Also, monitor the battery state and connect a battery charger if necessary.

PCM/WIN PROGRAMMING

When an PCM and the WIN are replaced at the same time, perform the following steps in order:

1. Program the new WIN.
2. Replace all ignition keys and program them to the new WIN.

PROGRAMMING THE WIN

CAUTION: Read all notes and cautions for programming procedures.
1. Connect a battery charger to the vehicle.
2. Connect the scan tool.

NOTE: Have a unique vehicle PIN readily available before running the routine

CAUTION: If the PCM and WIN are replaced at the same time, the PCM MUST be programmed before the WIN.
3. Select “ECU View.”
4. Select “WIN”.
5. Select “Miscellaneous Functions.”
6. Select "WIN Replaced".
7. Enter the PIN when prompted.
8. Cycle ignition key after the successful routine completion.

NOTE: If the PCM and the WIN are replaced at the same time, all vehicle keys will need to be replaced and programmed to the new WIN.

PROGRAMMING IGNITION KEYS TO THE WIN

Each FOBIK has a unique ID code that is assigned at the time the key is manufactured. When a key is programmed into the WIN, the module learns the transponder ID code and the transponder acquires the unique Secret Key ID code from the WIN.

2. Connect the scan tool.
3. Have a unique vehicle PIN readily available before running the routine.
4. Ignition key should be in RUN position.
5. Select “ECU View”.
6. Select “WIN Wireless Control”.
7. Select “Miscellaneous Functions.”
8. Select “Program Ignition Keys or Key FOBs”, Start
9. Enter the PIN when prompted.
10. Verify the correct information.
11. Cycle ignition key after the successful routine completion.

NOTE: A maximum of eight keys can be learned by the WIN. Once a key is learned by a WIN, that key has acquired the Secret Key for that WIN and cannot be transferred to any other WIN or vehicle.

PROGRAMMING THE PCM

2. Connect the scan tool.

5. Select “ECU View”.
6. Select “WIN Wireless Control”.
7. Select “Miscellaneous Functions.”
8. Select “PCM Replaced”.
9. Enter the PIN when prompted.
10. Verify the correct information.
Here is a troble shooting chart for you to check out also.

FOBIK TRAPPED IN WIN

The Fob with Integrated Key (FOBIK) cannot be rotated to the LOCK position, allowing it to be removed from the ignition switch also referred to as the Wireless Ignition Node/WIN. The automatic transmission or transaxle is shifted mechanically through a cable from the gearshift lever mechanism to the transmission or transaxle valve body. A gated park switch is physically located on and integral to the gearshift lever mechanism and is hard wired directly to the WIN. The gated park switch is a simple plunger-like actuated open or closed contact switch that could be considered redundant to the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) except that it monitors the position selected with the gearshift lever, while the TRS monitors the position or gear of the transmission or transaxle that is actually engaged. A damaged or improperly adjusted gearshift cable could result in a different gear being engaged than that which is selected. The WIN uses the gated park switch input to control an internal key lock solenoid, which controls whether the FOBIK can be rotated to the LOCK position. When the gearshift lever is not in the PARK position, the gated park switch is a closed circuit, the key lock solenoid is energized and the FOBIK cannot be rotated to the LOCK position for removal.

CONDITION

POSSIBLE CAUSES

CORRECTION

CANNOT TURN FOBIK TO LOCK POSITION 1. Damaged, binding or improperly adjusted gearshift cable. 1. Inspect and replace or adjust gearshift cable, if required.
2. Damaged or binding gearshift lever mechanism. 2. Inspect and replace or adjust gearshift lever mechanism.
3. No gated park switch input to WIN. 3. Use a diagnostic scan tool with software release version 8.05 or greater to read and confirm no gated park switch input to the WIN. Refer to the appropriate CONDITION that follows.
4. Key lock solenoid (WIN) unresponsive to gated park switch input. 4. Use a diagnostic scan tool with software release version 8.05 or greater to read and confirm gated park switch input to the WIN. Refer to the appropriate CONDITION that follows.
NO GATED PARK SWITCH INPUT 1. Open TRS park signal circuit. 1. Repair the open TRS park signal circuit between the gated park switch (gearshift lever mechanism) and the WIN, if required
2. Damaged or ineffective gated park switch. 2. Replace the damaged or ineffective gated park switch (gearshift lever mechanism), if required.
KEY LOCK SOLENOID UNRESPONSIVE TO GATED PARK SWITCH INPUT 1. Damaged or ineffective key lock solenoid. 1. Replace the damaged or ineffective key lock solenoid (WIN), if required.

If you are satisfied with my answer I have provided for you please click the ACCEPT BUTTON for me to receive the credit for my time and helping you. After you click the accept button you are more then welcome to ask me more questions as long as it is related to this issue for FREE.I do not get credit for helping you until you click the ACCEPT BUTTON. If you are a subscriber please make sure you click the Accept Button, this does not cost you anything. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thank you very much
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Uh, I am just the car owner without access to any of the tools you describe.

Is there no simple sequence such as sitting in the driver's seat, pressing certain buttons at certain times in a certain sequence to get the car to re-remember a key that used to work?

Ok go ahead try this:
1. Disconnect both battery cables and jump the cables together for a few minutes to "Reboot" the modules on the vehicle. If normal operation comes back, the vehicle is fixed.

2. If no change access the TIPM and WIN, retrieve and diagnose fault codes.

3. If no communication with the WIN be sure to check the Powers and Grounds (PAG) to it before replacement.
Tech Tips: If a WIN is installed it will need to be programmed with a compatible scan tool.

KEYLESS ENTRY TRANSMITTER

Using special tool 9001, first test to ensure that the transmitter is functioning. Typical testing distance is 2.5 centimeters (1 inch) for Asian transmitters and 30.5 centimeters (12 inches) for all others. To test, position the transmitter as shown. Press any transmitter button, then test each button individually. The tool will beep if a radio signal strength that lights five or more LED's is detected. Repeat this test three times. If transmitter fails any of the test, refer to the Diagnostic Procedures manual.

FOBIK TRANSMITTER BATTERY REPLACEMENT

FOBIK WITH BATTERY COVER

NOTE: Do not disturb the metal terminal near the battery. Avoid touching the new battery. Skin oils may cause battery deterioration. If battery are touched, clean with rubbing alcohol.

To replace the FOBIK transmitter battery:

1. Using a small flat bladed tool, carefully remove the battery cover on the back of the FOBIK.

2. Remove the battery one at a time by slightly lifting up and sliding out from the FOBIK .
3. Replace the battery with the same type of battery cell.
4. Install the battery with the positive terminal up.
5. Install battery cover and snap into place.
6. Test FOBIK operation.

FOBIK WITHOUT BATTERY COVER

This design is a clam shell design whereby both halves are split apart.

1. Remove the valet/spare key from the FOBIK if present.
2. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, carefully separate the top half from the bottom half.

3. Lift up on the battery to remove.
4. Replace battery with the same type of cell.
5. Install new battery negative side up.
6. Snap the top and bottom halves together.
7. Test FOBIK operation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What I need is what comes after "Test FOBIK operation" and that test results in failure.

How do I get the car (WIN?) to recognize the key as valid? Remember, I'm just the car owner and have no access to the diagnotic tools.

ok I will see what I can find but I have to go but I will be back in a hour. So sorry for the delay had to go to the doctors earlier. Did you try the disconnect with the battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You ignored my repeated explanation that I do not have access to the diagnostic tools. Read my questions again.
Ok I apologize for that. I am going to to open your question up for other experts to help you.

Please allow for some time for another exert to help you.

Thank you
Repair1014U, Repair shop owner
Experience: Diagnosticas & Electrical
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I decided to just bite the bullet and get a new wireless key from the dealer ($240 plus a $47 programming charge). I could buy a decent laptop for that amount of money!

Truly rediculous that Chrysler won't allow certified technicians to tell customers how to re-program a key. Talk about a strangle-hold.