sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Getting knocking noise from under the front end of car. Why?

My car is making a knocking sound under the front end when I hit a bump on the road.

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a few things that can make noise in the front end of these, some more common than others.

It could be a lower ball joint or control arm bushings, strut or strut mount. These are possible and things that I've seen but are less common.

The most common causes of noise over bumps on these are sway bar bushings, sway bar links, and inner and outer tie rod ends.

A complete front end inspection should be done to determine what the noise is and whether it's safe or not, since many loose components are a safety hazard. The inner tie rod ends are in the steering rack, but are serviceable without having to replace the rack. The outer tie rod ends connect the tie rods to the steering knuckles.

The sway bar mounts to the subframe in rubber bushings that wear each time the suspension moves and these are a very common source of noise when they get worn. At the ends of the sway bar are links that connect the bar to the struts, these links have ball joints on each end that wear, loosen and cause noise.