Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)

2002 PT cruiser: timing belt..water pump..step instructions diagrams

I need to do a timing belt and water pump on a 2002 PT Cruiser 2.4L. I need the step by step instructions diagrams to do this job. Do I need any special tools? How many hrs does alldata call to do this job? Is this job comparative to most timing belt jobs? or is this one brutal?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you..

Brad :

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.

2. Raise vehicle on hoist. Remove right front wheel.

3. Remove the right splash shield.

4. Remove accessory drive belts.

5. Remove crankshaft damper.

6. Remove the lower torque strut.

7. Disconnect exhaust system from manifold.

8. Disconnect A/C pressure switch at rear of compressor housing.

9. Lower vehicle and support engine with a jack.

10. Discharge A/C system and disconnect A/C lines at coupling block.

11. Remove upper torque strut.

12. Remove screw attaching ground strap to strut bracket.

13. Remove torque strut bracket from strut tower.

14. Remove upper radiator support crossmember.

15. Remove power steering pump and bracket. Set pump aside. Do not disconnect lines from pump.

16. With engine properly supported, remove right engine mount through bolt.

17. Raise engine with jack until engine support bracket bolts are accessible.

18. Remove support bracket bolts.

19. Remove support bracket.

20. Remove upper timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover.

21. Remove lower timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover. CAUTION: When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.

22. Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until the TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with the TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (trailing edge of sprocket tooth)

NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket TDC mark is located on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to TDC mark on oil pump housing will cause the camshaft timing marks to be misaligned.

23. Install 6 mm Allen wrench into belt tensioner. Before rotating the tensioner, insert the long end of a 1/8” or 3 mm Allen wrench into the pin hole on the front of the tensioner.. While rotating the tensioner counterclockwise, push in lightly on the 1/8” or 3 mm Allen wrench, until it slides into the locking hole.

24. Remove timing belt.

CAUTION: If timing belt was damaged due to incorrect tracking (alignment), the belt tensioner assembly must be

Brad :

INSTALLATION

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.

2. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket.

CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

3. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner.

4. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise to align marks and take up belt slack.

NOTE: A new tensioner is held in the wound position by a pull pin.

5. Remove the pull pin or Allen wrench from the belt tensioner.

6. Once the timing belt has been installed and tensioner released, rotate the crankshaft two (2) complete revolutions. Verify that the TDC marks on crankshaft and timing marks on the camshafts are aligned as shown in.

7. Install lower timing belt cover and tighten fasteners to 9 N·m (80 in. lbs.).

8. Install upper timing belt cover and tighten fasteners to 9 N·m (80 in. lbs.).

9. Install right engine support bracket. Ensure the power steering pump is properly located in mounting location on bracket. Tighten mount bracket bolts to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.).

10. Lower engine into mounting position and install right engine mount through bolt. Tighten bolt to 118 N·m (87 ft. lbs.).

11. Install power steering pump and bracket.

12. Install upper radiator support crossmember.

13. Install torque strut bracket to strut tower.

14. Connect ground strap to bracket.

15. Install upper torque strut.

16. Connect A/C lines. Evacuate and recharge A/C system.

17. Raise vehicle.

18. Connect exhaust system to manifold.

19. Connect A/C pressure switch connector.

20. Install crankshaft damper.

21. Install accessory drive belts.

22. Install lower torque strut.

23. Perform torque strut adjustment procedure.

24. Install right splash shield.

25. Install right front wheel.

26. Connect negative cable to battery

Brad :

This isnt a bad job to do, when you look at it you think its bad.. But once you start removing stuff, its not that hard...

Brad :

We charge 6.5 Hrs at Dealership......And you dont need any special tools

Brad :

Once you get belt off, the waterpump can be took off with a 10mm.. It has 5 bolts

Brad :

Im going to switch chat to post pics...

Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Did you get the timing belt replaced? If you need anything else feel free to ask, im here to assist you... Thanks Brad!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I started the timing belt today. What is the trick to get the crank dampner off? Tried prying from behind but no luck. The instructions just say take it off. What method do you use to get it off?
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

In order to remove the Balancer you will need a Harmonic Balancer remover, like this one:

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok seems like the instructions you found should have included the tool. Don't worry about being paid help me get through this job and I'm happy to pay you. How about a description of the tool 6827-A does that just slide into where the crank bolt goes and use the puller to press against it? please advise
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

You can usually rent/Borrow one at your local Advance Auto, or Auto Zone.. Its just basically a 3 jaw puller.. Tell them you need a Harmonic balancer removal tool, and not the one with bolts...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Brad, I have the three jaw puller but I don't have the other straight piece. That's the one I was really asking you about I looked it up on the internet and it looks like a long pin that works with the puller. What is the purpose of that ping?
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Just so that you have something for the puller to pull against.. Just just the bolt that holds the balancer on.. Screw it in about 4-5 turns and attach the puller and put the screw on the top of it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Brad don't know if you are online or not but, need some help. I have the pwr st pump moved out of the way but cannot get the large bracket out. This is the bracket the motor mount bolts to. No clearance. How do you get that bracket out???
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
That bracket is held on with 4 (15mm) long bolts.. loosen all them and jack engine up on that side and you can manuver it out... Sometimes its a pain, but make sure you pay attention on how you get it out, because it has to go back exactly where it is...