Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

How do you replace the waterpump on a 2002 Chrysler Sebring

Customer Question

How do you replace the waterpump on a 2002 Chrysler Sebring sedan with a 2.7L engine?Is there an update to the procedure and is there a special tool required for setting the hydraulic chain tensioner? Thanks.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

no update..or easy ay toreplace this one

tim's auto repair :

must remove the chain

tim's auto repair :

i will get you instructions,,,give me just a second

tim's auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tim's auto repair :

2002 Chrysler Sebring Limited V6-2.7L VIN R
Water Pump Service and Repair, Procedures: Water Pump

REMOVAL - 2.7L

51_cr03sebsd_7-043a.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 39 Water Pump Weep Passages - 2.7L

47_cr03sebsd_7-043b.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 40 Primary Water Pump Weep Passage - 2.7L

48_cr03sebsd_7-043c.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 41 Secondary Water Pump Weep Passage - 2.7L

NOTE: It is normal for the water pump to weep a small amount of coolant from the primary weep hole (black stain at weep passage). Do not replace the water pump if this condition exists. Replace the water pump if a heavy deposit or a steady flow of engine coolant is evident from the primary weep passage. This indicates a shaft seal failure and pump must be replaced. Coolant may leak from the secondary weep passage and fill the valley of the engine. If this condition is found, clean the primary weep passage of debris. Be sure to perform a thorough analysis before replacing water pump.

WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE PRESSURE CAP WITH THE SYSTEM HOT AND PRESSURIZED. SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN RESULT.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Drain cooling system.

NOTE: The water pump is driven by the primary timing chain.

3. Remove the timing chain cover, timing chain, and all chain guides.

46_cr03sebsd_7-042b.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 38 Water Pump - 2.7L

4. Remove bolts attaching water pump to block .
5. Remove water pump and gasket.

INSTALLATION - 2.7L
1. Clean all sealing surfaces.
2. Install water pump and gasket. Tighten mounting bolts to 12 Nm (105 in. lbs.).
3. Install timing chain guides, timing chain, and timing chain cover.
4. Reconnect negative battery cable.
5. Fill cooling system.

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

Is there something special i have do with the hydraullic tensioner such as resetting the piston?

tim's auto repair :

yes,,you will need to get the oil out of it,,so it will go back

tim's auto repair :

give me a second..i may have instructions for this also

tim's auto repair :

brb

tim's auto repair :

here we go

tim's auto repair :

Timing Chain Service and Repair, Procedures

REMOVAL

Timing Chain
1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Drain cooling system.
3. Remove upper intake manifold.
4. Remove cylinder head covers, crankshaft vibration damper, and timing chain cover.

CAUTION: When aligning timing marks, always rotate engine by turning the crankshaft. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

08_cr03sebsd_9-219a.png
Full Size Image

5. Align crankshaft sprocket timing mark to mark on oil pump housing (Fig. 112). The mark on oil pump housing is 60 °ATDC of # XXXXX cylinder.

CAUTION: When the timing chain is removed and the cylinder heads are still installed, DO NOT rotate the camshafts or crankshaft without first locating the proper crankshaft position. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

6. Remove power steering pump and bracket as an assembly. Do not disconnect power steering lines from pump. Reposition pump and support with suitable retaining strap.

40_cr03sebsd_9-219b.png
Full Size Image

7. Remove primary timing chain tensioner retainer cap and tensioner from right cylinder head (Fig. 113).

48_cr03sebsd_9-220a.png
Full Size Image

8. Disconnect and remove camshaft position sensor from left cylinder head (Fig. 114).
9. Remove timing chain guide access plugs from cylinder heads (Fig. 114).

NOTE: When camshaft sprocket bolts are removed, the camshafts will rotate in a clockwise direction.

10. Starting with the right camshaft sprocket, remove the sprocket attaching bolts. Remove camshaft damper (if equipped) and sprocket (
11. Remove left side camshaft sprocket attaching bolts and remove sprocket (Fig. 114).
12. Remove lower chain guide and tensioner arm (Fig. 114).
13. Remove the primary timing chain.

Crankshaft Sprocket
1. Remove primary timing chain.

CAUTION: Use care not to turn crankshaft while removing crankshaft sprocket, as damage to valves and or pistons could occur.

10_cr03sebsd_9-221a.png
Full Size Image

2. Remove crankshaft sprocket by first installing the crankshaft damper bolt. Apply grease or equivalent to damper bolt head and position Special Tools 5048-1, 5048-6, and 8539 on sprocket and crankshaft nose (Fig. 115). Remove sprocket using care not to rotate the crankshaft.

INSTALLATION

Timing Chain
1. Inspect all sprockets and chain guides. Replace if worn.
2. For crankshaft sprocket installation procedures, Refer to CRANKSHAFT - INSTALLATION.
3. If removed, install right and left side short chain guides (Fig. 114). Tighten attaching bolts to 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.).

11_cr03sebsd_9-222a.png
Full Size Image

4. Align crankshaft sprocket timing mark to the mark on oil pump housing (Fig. 116).

NOTE: Lubricate timing chain and guides with engine oil before installation.

5. Place left side primary chain sprocket onto the chain so that the timing mark is located in-between the two (plated) timing links (Fig. 116).
6. Lower the primary chain with left side sprocket through the left cylinder head opening.

NOTE: The camshaft sprockets can be allowed to float on the camshaft hub during installation.

7. Loosely position left side camshaft sprocket over camshaft hub.
8. Align timing (plated) link to the crankshaft sprocket timing mark (Fig. 116).
9. Position primary chain onto water pump drive sprocket.
10. Align right camshaft sprocket timing mark to the timing (plated) link on the timing chain (Fig. 116) and loosely position over camshaft hub.
11. Verify that all chain timing (plated) links are properly aligned to the timing marks on all sprockets (Fig. 116).
12. Install left side lower chain guide and tensioner arm (Fig. 114). Tighten attaching bolts to 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.).

NOTE: Inspect O-ring on chain guide access plugs before installing. Replace O-ring as necessary.

13. Install chain guide access plugs to cylinder heads (Fig. 114). Tighten plugs to 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.).

13_cr03sebsd_9-223a.png
Full Size Image

NOTE: To reset the primary timing chain tensioner, engine oil will first need to be purged from the tensioner (Fig. 117).

14. Purge oil from timing chain tensioner using the following procedure:
a. Place the check ball end of tensioner into the shallow end of Special Tool 8186 (Fig. 117).
b. Using hand pressure, slowly depress tensioner until oil is purged from tensioner (Fig. 117).
15. Reset timing chain tensioner using the following procedure:

15_cr03sebsd_9-224a.png
Full Size Image

a. Position cylinder plunger into the deeper end of Special Tool 8186 (Fig. 118).
b. Apply a downward force until tensioner is reset (Fig. 118).

NOTE: If oil was not first purged from the tensioner, use slight finger pressure to assist the center arm pin of Special Tool 8186 to unseat the tensioner's check ball.

CAUTION: Ensure the tensioner is properly reset. The tensioner body must bottom against the top edge of Special Tool 8186. Failure to properly perform the resetting procedure may cause tensioner jamming.

16. Install the reset chain tensioner into the right cylinder head (Fig. 113).
17. Position tensioner retaining plate and tighten bolts to 12 Nm (105 in. lbs.) (Fig. 113).
18. Starting at the right cylinder bank, first position the camshaft damper (if equipped) on camshaft hub, then insert a 3/8" square drive extension with a breaker bar into intake camshaft drive hub. Rotate camshaft until the camshaft hub aligns to the camshaft sprocket and damper attaching holes. Install the sprocket attaching bolts and tighten to 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.) (Fig. 114).
19. Turn the left side camshaft by inserting a 3/8" square drive extension with a breaker bar into intake camshaft drive hub and rotate camshaft until the sprocket attaching bolts can be installed. Tighten sprocket bolts to 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.) (Fig. 114).
20. Rotate engine slightly clockwise to remove timing chain slack, if necessary.

17_cr03sebsd_9-224b.png
Full Size Image

21. Activate the timing chain tensioner by using a flat bladed pry tool to gently pry tensioner arm towards the tensioner slightly (Fig. 119). Then release the tensioner arm. Verify the tensioner is activated (extends).
22. Install power steering pump and bracket assembly.
23. Install camshaft position sensor and connect electrical connector.
24. Install the timing chain cover, crankshaft vibration damper, and cylinder head covers.
25. Install upper intake manifold.

NOTE: After installation of a reset tensioner, engine noise will occur after initial start-up. This noise will normally disappear within 5 - 10 seconds.

26. Fill cooling system.
27. Connect negative battery cable.

Crankshaft Sprocket

76_cr03sebsd_9-225a.png
Full Size Image

1. Install crankshaft sprocket using Special Tools 6780-1 and 8179 (Fig. 120) until sprocket bottoms against crankshaft step flange. Use care not to rotate crankshaft.

77_cr03sebsd_9-225b.png
Full Size Image

2. Verify that crankshaft sprocket is installed to proper depth by measuring from sprocket outer face to end of crankshaft (Fig. 121). Measurement should read: 39.05 ± 0.50 mm (1.5374 ± 0.020 in.).
3. Install primary timing chain.

tim's auto repair :

you can set the tensioner without the tool if you get the oil out,,,,,

tim's auto repair :

the tool does make it easier..

tim's auto repair :

auto zone and most parts stores will rent you the tool

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

I am concerned about not setting the tensioner properly (may create problems if seized up)How does it get the piston to eject on vehicle startup and if done by the garage how much for parts and labour?

tim's auto repair :

it will eject itself,,with the oilpressure

tim's auto repair :

i will get you the labor time..the price will depend on how much your mechanic will charge per hour

tim's auto repair :

just a second

tim's auto repair :

it takes about 6.5 hours

tim's auto repair :

Water Pump Parts and Labor

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price
Water Pump

5 - Water Pump

4663732AC$113.00

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace

B5.06.7

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

So it is quite involved.Do you have a image showing the timing marks and should i replace the timing chain at the same time since it has to be removed completely?

tim's auto repair :

well...the cain may be ok,,,but you do need to look at the guides...and replace anything that is worn

tim's auto repair :

08_cr03sebsd_9-219a.png
Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :

Customer:

Okay, thanks for all your help

tim's auto repair :

you are very welcome

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.