Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

What is the cause of "check engine light" code U110C on a

What is the cause of "check engine light" code U110C on a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country van?
I cleared it and immediately it comes back. Is it related to a srs airbag light for which i am unable to obtain the code?
Airbag light appeared first before the U110C code.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

no, this is not related to the SRS system. This is a communication failure between the BCM and the PCM on the fuel level bus line. There is either a open in circuit between the BCM and PCM or faulty BCM.

This requires the use of a special tool to test BUS line for an open in circuit. DO NOT attempt to get around this by backprobing the lines at the BCM and PCM. Doing this will result in damaging both the PCM and BCM.

If you do not have the factory tool for this test, have a dealer do the test. If test ok, then replace the BCM
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before this happened, occasionally there was a reading on the dash odometer stating 'gas cap'? Do you think this is related ?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

doubtful. The reading on the dash for 'gas cap' registers if cap is not sealing and is creating a leak in the evaporative emissions system.

This problem is in the BUS serial data lines and control modules. because it is a problem in the fuel BUS line doesnt mean that it is a fuel delivery, fuel supply or even fuel cap issue.

Think of it like hooking 2 laptops together that require several lines to connect. One of the communication lines registers a fault. It is either in the line or in the one computer sending info to the other computer.

This is what is happening. One of the several data lines between the BCM and PCM has registered a fault. It is either the line itself or the BCM that is trying to send info to the PCM. Most of the time, it is the BCM which is faulty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Regarding the airbag code which i was unable to obtain:
While attempting to obtain the code there was mention of a 'passenger seatbelt being faulty'.Are you familiar with this srs problem?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

this is normally due to a fault seat belt tensioner. To test,

1. Disconnect the battery.

2. Short the Light Blue/Dark Green wire and the Light Blue/Yellow wire at the passenger side seatbelt buckle.

3. Reconnect the battery and check for a new code in the ACM. If it now has a code for seatbelt tensioner circuits shorted, replace the tensioner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are saying to touch both color wires together after disconnecting the battery?
What is the ACM and tensioner and where is the tensioner located?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,

yes. the acm is the control module that is read with the scanner.

graphic

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for enlightening me Eric.