Canadafix
Canadafix, Owner/Technician
Experience:  Certified Canadian Class A Technician since 1989
25077074

Chrysler 300 C: ABS ESP/BAS traction control icon lights on,

ABS ESP/BAS traction control icon lights on, cruise control control not operable. f 2009 300C hemi , car operating OK otherwise.
Probable cause?
Also, dash indicates parking assist not working either.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

In most cases such as yours the most probable cause is often an issue with a wheel speed sensor.
The problems you mentioned are affected by a defective input from one of the 4 sensors mounted at each wheel.

In order to determine this the best and easiest way is to have the system scanned with a scan tool that has the software to access the codes and the data generated.

The codes will lead to the area of the problem to be repaired.

I did look to see if there are any service bulletins regarding ABS/traction control on your 300. I did find one, but you did not mention a noise, so it may not relate.
But it may be helpful, so here it is.

NUMBER: 05-005-08

GROUP: Brakes

DATE: November 4, 2008

THE StarSCAN(R) FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN MUST BE RETRIEVED FROM THE INTERNET.

StarSCAN(R) SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT RELEASE 9.03 OR HIGHER FOR THIS BULLETIN.

StarMOBILE STANDALONE MODE OR StarMOBILE DESKTOP CLIENT MAY ALSO BE USED TO PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE.

SUBJECT:

Flash: ESP Lamp Flashing While System is in Full Off Mode Or ESP Pump Howl, Groan Sound After A Turn

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Anti Lock Brake/Electronic Stability Module (ABS) with new software.

MODELS:

2008 - 2009 (LC) Challenger 2009 (LX) 300/300C/Charger 2009 (LE) 300C/300 Touring (International Markets) NOTE :This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.5L/5.7L/6.1L engine (sales code EGG, EZD or ESF) and Electronic Stability Program (ESP) (sales code BNB) without adaptive cruise control (sales code NHP) built before October 10, 2008 (MDH 1010XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some customers may notice:

DIAGNOSIS:

Using a Scan Tool (StarSCAN(R)) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all Systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.

If the vehicle operator describes the Symptom/Condition, perform the Repair Procedure.

SPECIAL TOOLS / EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

REPAIR PROCEDURE - USING THE INTERNET TO RETRIEVE THE FLASH FILE:

NOTE :The StarSCAN(R) diagnostic scan tool fully supports Internet connectivity. However, to take advantage of this feature you must first configure the StarSCAN(R) for your dealership's network. Make sure the StarSCAN(R) is configured to the dealership's network before proceeding. For instruction on setting up your StarSCAN(R) for the dealer's network refer to either:

"DealerCONNECT > Service> StarSCAN and StarMOBILE tools > Online Documentation", or refer to the StarSCAN(R) Quick Start Networking Guide. The StarSCAN(R) Quick Start Networking Guide is also available on the website under the "Download Center".

NOTE :If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
1.Open the hood and install a battery charger. Using a voltmeter, verify that the charging rate provides 13.2 - 13.5 volts. Set the battery charger to continuous charge. Do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Remove the charger from the battery when the flash process is complete.
NOTE :Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the flash process.
2.Connect the CH9410 StarSCAN(R) ethernet cable to the StarSCAN(R) and the dealer's network drop.
3.Connect the CH9404D StarSCAN(R) vehicle cable to the StarSCAN(R) and the vehicle.
4.Power ON the StarSCAN(R).
5.Select "ECU View"
6.Touch the screen to highlight the ABS in the list of modules.
7.Select "More Options"
8.Select "ECU Flash"
9.Record the part number at the top of the "Flash ABS screen for later reference.
10.Select "Browse for New File". Follow the on screen instructions.
11.Highlight the appropriate calibration then select "Download to Scantool".
12.Select "Close" after the download is complete, then select "Back".
13.Highlight the listed calibration.
14.Select "Update Controller". Follow on screen instructions.
15.When the update is complete, select "OK".
16.Verify the part number at the top of the "Flash ABS" screen has updated to the new part number.
NOTE :Due to the ABS programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other modules within the vehicle, if so equipped. Some DTC's may cause the MIL to illuminate. From the "Home" screen select "System View". Then select "All DTCs". Press "Clear All Stored DTCs" if there are any DTCs shown on the list. POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Questions/comments are welcome.
Thank you.
Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would a dealer's scanner indicate which wheel speed sensor(s) are defective?
Is replacement complicated?
Thanks
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello.
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, the dealer would have this capability to determine which sensor it would be. Some good aftermarket shops may have as well.

The front or rear sensor replacement is just a little less than a half hour to replace.
not sure what the dealer would charge to diagnose it.
A replacement sensor will be close to $40.00.

Keep in mind that it also could be a connection issue or a broken wire to the sensor. Steering and suspension action can break the wires that go to the sensors. The front sensors are more probable for this as there is more movement in the wiring there.

Thank you,
Bernie
Canadafix, Owner/Technician
Experience: Certified Canadian Class A Technician since 1989