ND-TECH
ND-TECH, CJDR Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified and CJDR Master
26707557

2004 Chrysler Pacifica: power liftgate will not open..keyfob..signal

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica with 2 issues.
1. The power liftgate will not open when you press the button on the keyfob or when you press the button inside the car. It beeps twice (to signal opening) but will not release. I have taken the interior covers off the liftgate and found the liftgate release, so i can open it manually. If I open it manually, pressing the button won't close the liftgate either.
2. At night, my daytime running lamps (small round lights which sit up higher than main beams) are the only lights that work, even when the lights are switched to "on" or "auto". If I flash the brights, the main headlight brights will go on, but regular headlights won't work at all. Replaced bulbs in main headlights, did not help. I do have HID lights, but they are on the daytime running lamps (I believe) because there is an ignigtor and HID bulbs.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 2 years ago.
Ok well these could both be being caused by the same problem or two different problems. You need to first start by having the cluster (CCN module) and the BCM (body control module) scanned for codes. There are multiple different failure that can prevent the liftgate from opening from being as easy as a bad switch to as bad a failed module. Also the same with the headlamps. So you need to have the modules listed above scanned for codes. Then report back to me what codes if any are found and we will go from there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Who can scan for the codes? Any mechanic or do I have to take it straight to Chrysler. Thank you so much for the response.

Expert:  ND-TECH replied 2 years ago.
Any shop that has a full level scan tool that can read codes from the body control module
ND-TECH, CJDR Master Tech
Experience: ASE Certified and CJDR Master
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, I will make it up to you when this is resolved. I stated to the mechanic that I needed the cluster (CCN module) and BCM scanned for codes. Below is a list of what was pulled from his Genesis scanner, which was connected to the OBD2 connector. I'm confused as to whether or not this was the correct scan performed, is there a scanner which connects directly to the BCM or CCN? I am having issues when I take my key out and the radio/lights remain on - which I would guess is in regards XXXXX XXXXX ‘key' codes it pulled - however, I am not concerned with those issues right now.

P183

20

P513

Ignition Start Input Wiring

High Voltage Disable in Rear Washer

Transformer Malfunction

Invalid sensory key

Immobilizer key

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I accepted he answer accidentally, instead of hitting reply.

Expert:  ND-TECH replied 2 years ago.
Thats ok i will leave this open untill its resolved. Ok the code that needs to be focused on here is the ignition start input wiring. This will cause all of your concerns. Your mechanic needs to trace all the power supply wires from the power distribution center to the BCM of the vehicle. If all check out ok then you are going to have to start with a BCM replacement and go from there because the BCM isnt seeing on of its power feeds and this will cause some systems, not all, to not work correctly. SO have them check all the power feeds to the BCM fix any problems that are found. If none are found start with BCM replacement
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, wow, very helpful. Thank you. How many wires, to trace, are we talking about? If it's an electronical problem, my mechanic is going to charge me by the hour to trace all the wires. If its a simple BCM replacement, I can find one and have him switch it out for not much at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Another question, I read somehere that if the BCM is replaced, it must be programmed using a scan tool and Dealer CONNECT. Is that correct? In other words, even if I had my mechanic switch out the BCM, am I going to have to get the chrysler dealer involved anyways?
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 2 years ago.
There are 5 power circuits that go to the BCM. 4 of them are in connector C1 and 1 is in connector C2. If there BCM is replaced is does not have to be programed to the vehicle. Just the vehicles VIN wrote to it which they should be able to do. Also if a used BCM is put in it must match your exact vehicle options otherwise all your systems wont work or could have unintended operation due to wrong programing in the BCM. So just be sure of a used one if it is going to be done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me where the power liftgate modules are, do you have a diagram? Last night, I disconnected and inspected connectos C3, C4 and C5. Connectors C1 and C2 are real difficult to get to, which I will attempt tonight.

So after inspecting C3, C4 and C5 I thought, what the heck, lets see if it changed anything. I had the liftgate open (because i unlatched it manually) and pressed the button in the car to open the liftgate - it beeped twice and it went down!!!! but when it got just about closed, it slammeded shut instead of stopping a bit before closing and being cinced in. Now, I was shocked because prior to the disconnection/reconnection of the c3 c4 and c5 connectors, it wouldn't even do what it just did.

The liftgate, when it was working properly, used to close just about all the way, then I would hear a sound and it would pull the door in the rest of the way and it would lock. Now, when it closes, it gets just about closed and just slams shut. After more research, i'm wondering if it could be the liftgate latch w/power lift gate (which is about $240),or the actuator power latch w/ power liftgate (which is about $137). Are these modules or are there seperate liftgate modules? because I can't find any liftgate modules when I search mopar parts.

Also, is there a seperate module for the headlights and if so where is that located, do you have a diagram?

One last question, do you have the list of what pins are in the C1 connector? I have a list of pins in the C2-C5 connectors.