Kennyb28
Kennyb28, Service Manager
Experience:  Many years of hands on experience
13529731

Chrysler PT Cruiser: PT Cruiser issues...Camshaft Position

Customer Question

PT Cruiser issues...Camshaft Position sensor replaced 3x , this last time with an original Mopar part. In just 20  miles it once again had the engine light come on and the car hesitated at 20 miles per hour and was in creep along mode for the duration of my 5 miles home. What is the REAL issue and how do I solve this continual problem. I also have researched on line and have seen that  this is a problem for other PT Cruiser owners also..please HELP!
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm Kenny and ready to get started helping you. You stated the check engine light is coming on......what code/s are you getting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just talked with my mechanic...and my file there shows 3 different error code readings...but we don't know what is for which one. They are..P0129, P0335 and P0344. The first time the Camshaft Sensor was replace it ram about 4 months before having the same problem. The second time it took about 2 months..this last time it only took 20 miles.
Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 2 years ago.
P0129 is a code for a map sensor and normally replacing this sensor will correct this code.

P0335 is a code for the crank sensor and most likely what is causing the stalling. Normally replacing the crank sensor will correct the problem.

P0344 is a cam sensor code, but can also be set from a failing crank sensor so replace the crank sensor, clear the code, and see if the code comes back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have read all this on the web sites I have been visiting. YET THE PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS!!! I also read that wiring can be the issue...is that true?

Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 2 years ago.
Have you replaced the crank sensor? If not it needs to be replaced to correct the stalling. The crank sensor is a separate sensor than the cam sensor. Yes wiring can cause a problem, but not normally an intermittent problem and still most likely the crank sensor is the problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just spoke with mechanic again...BOTH THE CAM SENSOR AND THE CRANK SENSOR HAVE BEEN REPLACED 2X..AND THE CAM SENSOR 3X.

Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 2 years ago.
Was the crank sensor also replaced with a Mopar part? If not it should be. There is also a magnet that sits right behind the cam sensor that needs checked as if cracked can cause this problem. If all this is good then there is either a wiring problem between the sensors and the power train control module or the power train control module needs replaced
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am bringing my car into the mechanics today and we will see if this helps...
Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 2 years ago.
Ok. No problem, let me know if I can be of any more help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How does this work? Can I just get back on here and talk with you later today or tomorrow? I haven't hit accept answer yet cause I'm not sure what to do. Don't want to lose my connection with you..may come in handy when I'm with the mechanic.

Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 2 years ago.
The way it works is even after hitting ACCEPT you can ask follow up questions at no additional charges. The question stays open even after hitting accept so you can still reply and get help as long as you need it until the problem is resolved.
Kennyb28, Service Manager
Experience: Many years of hands on experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh ok...thanks. I will do that. Thank you so far...I did just call a dealer to see if there are any recall issues or something else I need to go to the dealer for...figured it couldn't hurt.
Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 2 years ago.
True, can't hurt.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH when
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH when I
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH when I return
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH when I return how
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH when I return how can
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH when I return how can I
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH when I return how can I access
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH when I return how can I access you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH when I return how can I access you and
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH when I return how can I access you and not
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OH when I return how can I access you and not another
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OH when I return how can I access you and not another mechanic?

Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 2 years ago.
Just reply like you are now. Log into your account and go to the my questions tab. Then find the question you asked and click on it and reply