Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

PT cruiser: power steering went..problem it appears the fuild level is

Customer Question

The power steering went out on our PT cruiser. what could be the problem it appears the fuild level is fine
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

please explain to me what it does...does it make a noise?

Customer:

no noise

tim's auto repair :

when did it quit/

tim's auto repair :

?

Customer:

some time yesterday. my daughter was drive it yesterday afternoon. I drove it all morning yesterday with no problem. My wife took it to the store this mroning and told me about the problem, so I'm trying to see if there is anything I can do or do I just need to take it in. I was hoping it just needed fluid, but I think the fluid level is fine it may be a little low

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

this sounds as if the pump may have went out

tim's auto repair :

if you have tools..

tim's auto repair :

i can give you directions on how to replace the pump

Customer:

I have tools is it hard to get to the pump in the PT cruiser? Just changing the battary in the car is a pain

tim's auto repair :

well

tim's auto repair :

it isnt real easy

tim's auto repair :

do you have the turbo engine?

Customer:

No

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

please give me just a minute

tim's auto repair :

this is a little harder than replacing the battery

tim's auto repair :

2003 Chrysler Truck PT Cruiser L4-2.4L VIN B
Power Steering Pump Service and Repair, Procedures: Power Steering Pump, Removal and Installation

PUMP REMOVAL

1. Siphon as much fluid as possible from the power steering fluid reservoir2. Raise the vehicle.
3. Remove the right front tire and wheel assembly.

23_cr02ptcru_19-024c.png
Full Size Image

4. Remove the screws fastening the front fascia to the reinforcement as necessary in order to access the drive-belt splash shield forward fastener screw.
5. Remove the drive-belt splash shield fasteners. Remove the shield.
6. Remove the accessory drive-belt from the A/C compressor and power steering pump.

53_cr01ptcru_19-012a.png
Full Size Image

7. Remove the electrical connectors from the A/C compressor.
8. Remove the four bolts fastening the A/C compressor to the engine, then move the compressor toward the center of the vehicle, allowing the compressor to settle in place.

50_cr02ptcru_19-040b.png
Full Size Image

51_cr02ptcru_19-040c.png
Full Size Image

9. Remove the pressure hose from the pump in the following fashion:
a. Place a crowfoot wrench on a long extension onto the pressure hose tube nut at the pump.
b. Place a shop towel between the crowfoot and the pump pulley to avoid slipping and possibly damaging the pulley.
c. Unthread the tube nut from the pump.
10. Lower the vehicle.

00_cr02ptcru_19-040d.png
Full Size Image

11. Remove the grille from the front of the vehicle.
12. Remove the hood-opening weather-strip from across the radiator closure panel.

53_cr02ptcru_19-041a.png
Full Size Image

13. Remove the ambient temperature sensor from the radiator closure panel.

54_cr02ptcru_19-041b.png
Full Size Image

14. Remove the fasteners securing the upper radiator closure panel in place, then remove the panel.
15. Lift the cooling module out of its lower mounts and carefully move it toward the left side of the vehicle. It will move only a limited amount with the hoses still connected. Do not force it.

NOTE: For additional room, the right side bolts securing the lower radiator closure panel in front of the cooling module can be removed.

55_cr02ptcru_19-041c.png
Full Size Image

16. Using a bungee cord, tie the cooling module forward as shown. Be sure to attach the cord in a location that will not damage the vehicle. Do not over tighten the bungee cord. It just needs to hold the module forward.

01_cr02ptcru_19-041d.png
Full Size Image

17. Remove the clamp securing the supply hose to the power steerirg pump supply fitting, then remove the hose from the supply fitting.

02_cr02ptcru_19-042a.png
Full Size Image

18. Remove the three bolts securing the pump in place.
19. Remove the 2 bolts securing the stamped steel support bracket to the engine block. Remove the bracket.

58_cr02ptcru_19-042b.png
Full Size Image

20. Ease the cooling module forXXXXX, XXXXX't force it, and remove the power steering pump and pulley where shown.

INSTALLATION
1. Using a lint free towel, wipe clean the open power steering pressure hose end and the power steering pump port. Replace any used O-rings with new. Lubricate the O-ring with clean power steering fluid
2. Ease the cooling module forXXXXX, XXXXX't force it, and install the power steering pump and pulley into its mounting area in the same fashion it was removed.
3. Place the pump in mounting position with the stamped steel support bracket behind it. Install the three bolts through the bracket and pump, into the threaded engine cover. Do not tighten the bolts at this time.
4. Install the two bolts fastening the bracket to the engine block. Tighten the two bolts to a torque of 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.).
5. Tighten the three pump mounting bolts previously installed to a torque of 28 Nm (250 inch lbs.).
6. Push the fluid supply hose onto the pump supply fitting. Expand the hose clamp and slide it over the hose and pump supply fitting. Secure the clamp once it is past the bead formed into the fluid reservoir fitting.

CAUTION: Make sure the supply hose is routed above the engine timing chain cover. The power steering fluid supply hose must remain clear of any unfriendly surface that can cause possible damage to it.

7. Raise the vehicle.
8. Thread the fluid pressure hose tube nut into the pump.
9. Using a crowfoot wrench on a long extension with a torque wrench, tighten the pressure hose tube nut at the power steering pump to a torque of 68 Nm (50 ft. lbs.).
10. Install the four bolts fastening the A/C compressor to the engine. Tighten the mounting bolts to a torque of 28 Nm (250 inch lbs.).
11. Install the A/C compressor electrical connectors.
12. Install the A/C drive belt.
13. Install the drive-belt splash shield and fasteners.
14. Install the screws fastening the front fascia to the reinforcement.
15. Install the right front tire and wheel assembly. Install and tighten the wheel mounting nuts to a torque of 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.).
16. Lower the vehicle.
17. Remove the bungee cord and move the cooling module back into is lower mounts.
18. If previously removed, install the right side bolts securing the lower radiator closure panel in front of the cooling module.
19. Install the radiator closure panel and fasten it in place.
20. Install the ambient temperature sensor on the radiator closure panel.
21. Install the hood-opening weather-strip across the radiator closure panel.
22. Install the grille on the front of the vehicle.
23. Perform the POWER STEERING PUMP INITIAL OPERATION to properly fill and bleed the power steering system.
24. Check for leaks.

tim's auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tim's auto repair :

this will take about 2-3 hours

tim's auto repair :

Power Steering Pump Parts and Labor

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price
Power Steering Pump

P/S Pump

5272929AB$187.00

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace

B1.82.4

Customer:

Ok this is what I was afraid of you have to remove a lot of thing to change the pump this looks like a 2 day project for me. I will take it to the shop and have them do it. Thank you for your time

tim's auto repair :

you are very welcome

tim's auto repair :