Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2006 Chrysler 300 Touring: V6 3.5L..head bolt torque specifications

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring V6 3.5L and need to know the head bolt torque specifications. Can anyone help me with those?

Brad :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you..

Customer:

Ok, is there anything else you need to know?

Customer:

Sorry, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm really needing some help on this issue.

Brad :

Ok, Just a sec while I get that info..

Customer:

Ok, thanks Brad.

Brad :

09 - Engine, 3.5L/Cylinder Head/Installation

INSTALLATION

Full Size Image
Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

Full Size Image
Special Tools: Click to display a list of tools used in this procedure

Click here to launch the form to order any tools you need.

C-4685-C1 - Screw, Forcing

Originally Shipped In Kit Number(s) 6672.
6792 - Installer, Crank Sprocket

Originally Shipped In Kit Number(s) 6784, 6809, 6822.
6792-1 - Cup

9365 - Holding Fixture, Damper

Originally Shipped In Kit Number(s) 9329, 9515, 9516, 9516-CAN, 9517, 9517-CAN, 9518, 9519, 9540, 9541.

RIGHT CYLINDER HEAD

Full Size Image

CAUTION:The cylinder head bolts are tightened using a torque plus angle procedure. The bolts must be examined BEFORE reuse. If the threads are necked down the bolts must be replaced.

1.Check the cylinder head bolts for necking by holding a scale or straight edge against the threads. If all the threads do not contact the scale (2) the bolt must be replaced.

Full Size Image

CAUTION:When cleaning cylinder head and cylinder block surfaces, DO NOT use a metal scraper because the surfaces could be cut or ground. Use ONLY a wooden or plastic scraper.

2.Clean the sealing surfaces of the cylinder head and block(Refer to 09 - Engine - Standard Procedure) .

3.Install the camshaft (5) in the cylinder head.

CAUTION:The cylinder head gaskets are not interchangeable between the left and right cylinder heads and are clearly marked (3) with "R" for right and "L" for left.

CAUTION:Ensure that the correct head gaskets are used and are oriented correctly on cylinder block.

4.Push the camshaft (5) out of the back of the cylinder head approximately 3.5 inches. Install the head gasket and cylinder head over the locating dowels.

NOTE:Before installing the cylinder head bolts, lubricate the threads with clean engine oil.

5.Install and finger tighten eight head bolts (2).

Full Size Image

6.Tighten the cylinder head bolts in the sequence shown, using the 4 step torque-turn method to the following torque values:

1. Step 1: All to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.)

2. Step 2: All to 88 N·m (65 ft. lbs.)

3. Step 3: All (again) to 88 N·m (65 ft. lbs.)

4. Step 4: + 90° Turn Do not use a torque wrench for this step.

7.Bolt torque after the 90° turn (Step 4) should be over 122 N·m (90 ft. lbs.) in the tightening direction. If not, replace the bolt.
Brad :

The torque is the same for both heads......

Brad :

Does this answer your question?

Customer:

Hi Brad, I think this does answer my questions. I torqued the bolts as follows: 1. 50 ft. lbs, 2. 75 ft. lbs. and no more. Can I recover from my error? I got the information from a bad source. The car is now overheating and feels lazy.

Brad :

Do you have any coolant leaks?

Customer:

No, no coolant leaks. We replaced the water pump, temperature sensor, radiator and thermostat. When I removed the heads, the pistons were crusted with what looked like carbon and was very thick. The car was leaking before around the thermostat housing, so that is how I ended up changing everything.

Brad :

Ok, are you sure timing is correct?

Customer:

Yes, we double checked that.

Brad :

Ok, did you bleed the cooling system?

Customer:

Yes, we've bled it at least four times.

Customer:

Couldn't it be just the fact that I didn't torque it correctly?

Customer:

And the coolant is leaking in the heads?

Brad :

Well you said you were low on coolant... Is the coolant low?

Customer:

No, we haven't lost any coolant since we finished putting it back together. During the bleeding process, the car usually started smoothly, but a couple three times, it shook like it was missing or something and then later it ran smooth.

Brad :

How hot did it get?

Customer:

It got up to the 3/4 mark and once halfway between the 3/4 mark and the red.

Customer:

We never let it get in the red.

Brad :

Ok, here is my suggestion... You dont want to hear this but for this to be right..You will need to remove the heads and replace the head gaskets again, Re-Torque with "Correct" Procedure, make sure timing is correct and bleed system.... But you can feel comfortable with my Torque specs as they are directly from Chrysler....

Customer:

So you are pretty sure that my torque procedure is what is causing this, because your answer is about what I expected. I was afraid of this and just wanted to verify with someone else.

Customer:

Before re-doing this whole thing over again.

Customer:

Before signing off, do you think I could just torque it a third time without removing the heads to get them closer to the torque specs you gave me?

Brad :

Well I cant say for sure... But knowing that the heads arent on properly, I dont have a good basis to start diag on... DO you understand? Everything I try and think of that would be causing your "Overheating" and "Lazy", keeps making me think of the heads... If for some reason you get it all back on and you still have issues, feel free to follow-up with me at No-Charge, Im here to help you get your vehicle fixed.....

Brad :

No, once the heads are torqued and vehicle is run... The headgasket has been stressed to the compression and the head gasket has been compromised......

Customer:

Ok, that is what I will do. I appreciate your help and I will follow up with you after I have re-done the heads. Thanks Brad.

Brad :

You are more than welcome.... If you need anything else, please ask me.. I will get you whatever you need

Customer:

Thanks and have a great night!

Brad :

Well thank you for choosing JustAnswer, and have a great night!!!! Brad

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Brad, just to follow-up, we re did the heads and torqued everything correctly, but it started overheating again. So, because we did everything correctly, I told my friend to re-check the thermostat to make sure he had put it in correctly and low and behold, he was in backwards. No more overheating and everything is fine now.

Thank you so much for all of your help. It was really appreciated.
Antonio
I'm glad you got it fixed..... And if the heads didn't fix it, I was here to help you so we could continue diagnostics.... But you understand that I had to make sure all the basics were correct before we try and diag anything..... Thank you for choosing JustAnswer!!! Have a greatday!!! Brad