Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

chrysler Town & Country: best way to remove alt on 2000

Customer Question

best way to remove alt on 2000 chrysler town and country
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 2 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

REMOVAL

1. Release hood latch and open hood.

1. Disconnect battery negative cable.
  2. Remove windshield wiper housing, refer to the Windshield Wipers and Washers for proper procedures.
  3. Remove accessory drive belt.

1. Remove bolt holding top of generator mount bracket to engine air intake plenum.
  2. Remove bolts holding outside of generator mount bracket to generator mount plate.
  3. Remove bolt holding top of generator to mount bracket.
  4. Remove generator mount bracket from vehicle.
  5. Rotate generator toward rear dash panel.

1. Disconnect the push-in field wire connector . from back of generator.
  2. Remove nut holding B+ wire terminal to back of generator.
  3. Separate B+ terminal from generator.

1. Remove bolt holding bottom of generator to lower pivot bracket.

1. Remove generator from vehicle

INSTALLATION

1. Place generator in position on vehicle.
  2. Install bolt to hold bottom of generator to lower pivot bracket.
  3. Place B+ terminal in position on generator.
  4. Install nut to hold B+ wire terminal to back of generator.
  5. Connect the push-in field wire connector into back of generator.
  6. Rotate generator forward away from dash panel.
  7. Place generator mount bracket in position on vehicle.
  8. Install bolt to hold top of generator to mount bracket.
  9. Install bolts to hold outside of generator mount bracket to generator mount plate.
  10. Install bolt to hold top of generator mount bracket to engine air intake plenum.
  11. Install accessory drive belt.
  12. Install windshield wiper housing, refer to the Windshield Wipers and Washers for proper procedures.
  13. Connect battery negative cable.
  14. Verify generator charge rate.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a 2000 town and country with a 3.8. I have the top bracket off. The alt has both bolts off and the side bracket has 3 bolts removed but it is still tight and i can't get the tensioner off.What do i need to do to finish removing the bracket or should i remove the intake air horn to give me the room i need?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what more do you need to know??
if that will give you more room do it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
here is some illustrationsgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
read all my messages and come up with a good answer or don't charge my credit card
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

ok

lets try this

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

2000 Chrysler Truck Town & Country LWB FWD V6-3.8L VIN L
Alternator Service and Repair, Procedures

REMOVAL
1. Release hood latch and open hood.

graphic

Removal/Installation of Battery Cables

2. Disconnect battery negative cable.
3. Remove windshield wiper housing,

4. Remove accessory drive belt.

graphicGenerator Mounting Bracket

5. Remove bolt holding top of generator mount bracket to engine air intake plenum.
6. Remove bolts holding outside of generator mount bracket to generator mount plate.
7. Remove bolt holding top of generator to mount bracket.
8. Remove generator mount bracket from vehicle.
9. Rotate generator toward rear dash panel.

graphicGenerator

10. Disconnect the push-in field wire connector . from back of generator.
11. Remove nut holding B+ wire terminal to back of generator.
12. Separate B+ terminal from generator.

graphicGenerator Pivot Bolt

13. Remove bolt holding bottom of generator to lower pivot bracket.

graphicGenerator

14. Remove generator from vehicle

INSTALLATION
11. Install accessory drive belt.
12. Install windshield wiper housing,
13. Connect battery negative cable.
14. Verify generator charge rate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.

ok

lets try this

thanks

REMOVAL
1. Release hood latch and open hood.

graphic
View Full Image

Removal/Installation of Battery Cables

2. Disconnect battery negative cable.
3. Remove windshield wiper housing,

4. Remove accessory drive belt.

graphic
View Full Image
Generator Mounting Bracket

graphic
View Full Image
Generator

graphic
View Full Image
Generator Pivot Bolt

graphic
View Full Image
Generator

14. Remove generator from vehicle

INSTALLATION
11. Install accessory drive belt.
12. Install windshield wiper housing,
13. Connect battery negative cable.
14. Verify generator charge rate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In figure 9500-11 it shows alt coming out between the engine and wheel well but its not showing the outside bracket that the top bracket fastens to.that bracket only shows up in figure9600-8. I believe the tensioner also attacts to it.I need to know how to remove that bracket and tensioner so I can get the alt beteen the engine and wgeel well.

there is no need to remove the tensionor at all...it will,,the alternator will come out

.3L & 3.8L Engines

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Alternator harness connectors Right front lower splash shield Accessory drive belt Lower oil dipstick tube bolt and the wiring harness from the tube 3 mounting bolts Dipstick tube Alternator

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Alternator in position and the 3 mounting bolts. Tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm). Dipstick tube, lubricate the O-ring with clean engine oil prior to installation, then tighten the upper dipstick tube bolt. Alternator harness connectors Lower oil dipstick tube bolt Accessory drive belt Right front lower splash shield Wiring harness to the dipstick tube Negative battery cable

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.