Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chrysler PT Cruiser: code P1193 my reading said it is a factory

code P1193 my reading said it is a factory code will not tell me what the problem is
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

are you sure about this code?

tim's auto repair :

this code is not listed for your car

Customer:

yes i am sure

tim's auto repair :

strange

tim's auto repair :

is this the only code you get?

Customer:

it is a 2002 pt cruiser sorry not 2003

Customer:

yes i changed spark plugs timing belt and cleaned fuel tank engine idles rough

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

does it run well out on the road?

Customer:

the engine runs find at all all speeds except at an idle and it has a miss and is rough i cleared the code and it doesnt come back but still idle rough

Customer:

yes it runs fine on the road

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

this code isnt listed for your model

tim's auto repair :

but

tim's auto repair :

the 1190's codes usally point torward the throttle position sensor

tim's auto repair :

the tps could cause a rough idle

Customer:

i checked there are no vacum leaks air clean new

tim's auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tim's auto repair :

2003 Chrysler Truck PT Cruiser L4-2.4L VIN B
Throttle Position Sensor Locations, Connectors

15_cr03ptcru_8w91-031.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 22 2.0L/2.4L Engine

tim's auto repair :

ok

tim's auto repair :

thieproblem could be the tps

Customer:

yes i thought it could be the tps

tim's auto repair :

but

tim's auto repair :

this is an unlikley code for this car

tim's auto repair :

Throttle Position Sensor Service and Repair, Procedures

REMOVAL

13_cr03ptcru_14-049b.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 64 Throttle Position Sensor And Idle Air Control Motor

The throttle position sensor attaches to the side of the throttle body.

1. Remove the air cleaner lid and makeup air hose. Loosen the clamp and relocate assembly.
2. Remove the negative battery cable.
3. Disconnect electrical connector from the throttle position sensor.
4. Remove throttle position sensor mounting screws.
5. Remove throttle position sensor.

INSTALLATION

15_cr03ptcru_14-050.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 66 Throttle Position Sensor

1. The throttle shaft end of the throttle body slides into a socket in the TPS. The socket has two tabs inside it. The throttle shaft rests against the tabs. When indexed correctly the TPS can rotate clockwise a few degrees to line up the mounting screw holes with the screw holes in the throttle body The TPS has slight tension when rotated into position. If it is difficult to rotate the TPS into position, reinstall the sensor with the throttle shaft on the other side of the tabs in the socket of the TPS. Tighten mounting screws to 6.2 Nm (55 in. lbs.) torque.
2. After installing the TPS, the throttle plate should be closed. If the throttle plate is open, install the sensor on the other side of the tabs in the socket.

3. Attach electrical connectors to the throttle position sensor.
4. Install the negative battery cable.
5. Install the air cleaner lid and makeup air hose and tighten clamp.

tim's auto repair :

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.