Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2002 Chrysler Sebring: engine light comes..codes read..LEAK..seal

I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible 2.7 motor. I can't figure out what to change when the engine light comes on and the codes read:

PO455 EVAP EMISSIONS CONTROL SYSTEM LEAK

and

PO442 EVAP EMISSIONS CONTROL SYSTEM LEAD SMALL

What do I try to get the engine light off. I have have had the tank out three times to fix the seal on top of the tank.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

Have you smoked check your evap system?

Can I get your VIN?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have a smoke checker machine

Vin is: 1C3EL55R42N233276

We changed the motor and everything was ok. It quit running and we had to put a new fuel pump. We had to change camshaft position sensor and the crankcase position sensor.

It went through emissions and we got it licensed. The engine light then came on and we can't get it off now.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Have you checked for a loose gas cap? A loose or missing gas cap will cause the computer to flag both of these codes.

In addition, check the evap hoses/lines for rips or cracks. This is very common on this car. The lines crack causing these codes. Look by the purge valve and the leak detection pump and anywhere in between.

If all checks out ok, both the purge valve and leak detection pump would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is a leak detection pump and is it on the fuel tank?

Is the purge valve on the tank or on the firewall? Where is it?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
The leak detection pump on your vehicle monitors to see if there is a leak in your evap system. It is located in back under the vehicle by the fuel tank.

The canister purge solenoid is located under the hood by the brake master cylinder.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector