sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler PT Cruiser: My 2003 cruiser wont start. The engine

Customer Question

My 2003 cruiser won't start. The engine light stays on and there is a red dot flashing in the centre of the speed odemetre. What is going on?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

When you first turn the key on does the engine light come on for it's bulb check and then go out for a few seconds?

When this first happened did the engine start and die three times before locking the starter out?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The engine light stays on.

No the engine did not start and die. My wife tried to start in when it was -34C, but would not turn over, because it was not plugged. We did try boosting it several times after it was plugged in, but no go.

When you do turn the ignition, the card tries to fire once in a while. Then some times I hear a small back fire noise.

What happened when you first tried to start it? Did the starter engage and crank (turn over) the engine but the engine didn't start? Or did it not crank, no noise from the engine compartment?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It makde a slow whur whur sound in the extreme cold.

Since it has warmed up to -4C, it turns, but won't engage. Sometimes it is seems like it kind of starts, like when the engine first turns over and starts to fire, but not all the way. It make kind of a sputter sound.

So the engine starts, runs very briefly and dies. Is that correct? That would be the expected behavior with the SKIM security light flashing.

Have you tried a second key?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have tried a second key that we had cut from Home dePot. The second key went missing when we moved at the beginning of this month.

Does this car have a chip in the key?

If so, does the sensor coil in the at the ingnition key have a tendency to fail. I run into this problem when I service card access control systems...

Yes, there is a transponder chip in the key. You can't use a key from Home Depot to start and run the engine, only to unlock the doors. If you don't use a programmed SKIM key with a transponder in it then it will cause the problem you are having.

If you are in fact using a SKIM key then you either have a failed key or a bad SKIM module. The SKIM module is in the steering column and is what communicates with the key to allow you to start and run the engine. A scan tool can be used to diagnose the problem and determine if the key or the module is the problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All is working fine. Found out it was a frozen gas line.

The other interesting thing, the non chip allows you to start, but won't
allow you to operate the vehicle. Never heard of that before, but it
happened.

Thanks for the update!