ND-TECH
ND-TECH, CJDR Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified and CJDR Master
26707557

2006 pt cruiser touring: 4 cylinder..car started..rough a few seconds

2006 pt cruiser touring 4 cylinder ( has been couple days )check engine light flashes and a ding alert sound when at idle also idles rough, today car started idled rough a few seconds then died, now the car will not start. Lights,radio,etc. are all working.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 2 years ago.
Ok well the flashing light and ding was due to a cat converter damaging mis fire. And now since the vehicle wont start you need to do a compression test to make sure there is no internal engine damage. If there is you will need to fix whatever is causing the low compression such as bent or burnt valve, blown head gasket, warped head. But also before tearing down the motor there is a small rubber plug in the timing cover at the top of it. Remove this plug and check the timing belt. Is there is excessive slack or it has broken then you will need to replace the timing belt and the preform a compression check to make sure no internal damage happened if the belt broke or jumped time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the car never ran hot do not see that it would be a blown head gasket. car ran great except at an idle. did nto miss at all.
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 2 years ago.
if it was a small spot in the head gasket that failed then it may not be using alot of coolant or it could be leaking over the another cylinder. Blown head gaskets dont always mean coolant usage
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, but when the car ran ruff at idle, which was below 1rpm, you could give it alittle gas to one rpm and the engine light would quite flashing and ding alert stop. could thisnot be a throttle sensor ?
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 2 years ago.
No a tps will not usually cause a running rough condition and would never cause a cat damaging mis fire. I would pull that rubber plug and check your timing belt. Espically since your vehicle wont start now. It may have jumped a tooth or stretched and now broke. Also i have seen from bad mis fires will burn a valve and cause this problem as well. So i would start by pulling plugs and check them. Then checking your timing belt. If nothing is found there then preform a compression test and cylinder leak down test and see what you results from those are. Also if you can cycle then key from the off the the run position three times finishing in the on position this will display your codes in the odometer area and if you give me that i can give you alot more definite possibility of what it will be
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i will check codes and get back with you.
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 2 years ago.
OK let me know what you find
ND-TECH, CJDR Master Tech
Experience: ASE Certified and CJDR Master