Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair shop owner
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical
60340645

1999 CHRYSLER SEBRING: eng..DASH gauges, WIPERS..DOOR LOCKS

1999 CHRYSLER SEBRING, CONV. V-6 2.5LT ENG MODEL JX -- PROBLEM--AFTER DRIVING AN HOUR OR SO, AND YOU STOP AND TURN THE ENGINE OFF, AND ABOUT 15 MINUTES OR SO LATER START THE CAR UP AGAIN, THE DASH GAUGES, WIPERS, CONVTERBILE TOP MOTOR AND DOOR LOCKS , WILL NOT WORK?????? WAIT A LITTLE LONGER AND EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL AND WORKING.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 4 years ago.

welcome to Just Answer.

Ok it could be a couple of things.

Instrument Cluster, bad Wire or ground problem, The BCM Body Control Module, Battery, or battery wire.

You could have loose wire or the connections on the battery are not good, the cluster, or the BCM. Here is how to check the Cluster and BCM, also check the relays in the junction box next to the battery.

Cluster Testing

Tests/Procedures: 1. Run the self-test by starting with the key in the locked position. Push and hold the trip reset button and turn the key to the unlocked position. Release the button and the gauges should sweep through their full travel and the odometer should run a segment test.

2. If none of the gauges work doing the self-test, the cluster needs to be replaced.

Thank you

BCM testing

Tests/Procedures: 1. Hook up the scan tool and access the Body Control Module (BCM).

2. In the data stream there will be a item labeled panel, voltage, level or something similar.

3. Turn the lights on and move the dimmer from dim to bright. The voltage should change on the scan tool from near 0 volt to 8-9 volts.

4. If that is OK, check the voltage at the C2 10 pin connector on pin #9, it is a Orange wire. With the light on, that wire should have 0-12 volts moving the dimmer up and down.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I HAVE REVIEWED YOUR RESPONSE TO MY QUESTION, AND IT APPEARS THAT YOU ADRESSED THE DASH GAUGES NOT WORKING, HOWEVER I DID NOT NOTE ANY CORRECTIVE STEPS TO TAKE REGARDING THE WIPER MOTOR, DOOR LOCKS AND CONVT. TOP MOTOR NOT WORKING?? AGAIN ALL 4 OF THESE ISSUES OCCUR ONLY AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO OF DRIVING. LET THE CAR SET FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES, AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING AGAIN.?? IT WOULD APPEAR THAT SOMETHING HEATS UP, SHUTS THINGS DOWN , AND THEN AFTER COOLING OR SETING FOR A WHILE , IS O.K. AGAIN.
Ok thank you so much for getting back to me.

If the items work in the beginning and them act up when warm there could be a melted wire that is causing the problem or a module. Then when cooled down it will work again, the insulation can be getting weak and is not protecting the wire.

If the items work only when warmed up, there could be a ground problem.

Here is the pin outs and the locations for each item. Test for power coming out of the BCM for each one that is not working. If you have no power for them out of the BCM the BCM is bad, or needs to be reprogrammed.

Check the battery connections, check the junction box connections and the BCM connections and fuses.

I have to go to the airport to drop my brother off, but I will be back in 2 hours to keep helping you.

Thanks
graphic
graphic