Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

Chrysler Pacifica: I went to open the driver side door of my

I went to open the driver side door of my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica - the door handle went loose and now the door won't close properly. Any ideas what would have caused this?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Chrysler my name isXXXXX don't know your automotive experience level, so I may need to alter the answer to your needs. Were you using the inside handle or the outside one when this happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Inside handle - it's lose and kind of clicks when you pull it but it feels like it's not attached to anything. If you look at the lock on the side of the dooor - it spins and moves but doesn't seem to catch and lock onto the the latch on the door frame. Is it something come unattached or actually broken?
It could be a case of a broXXXXX XXXXXdle or a broken retaining clip that has allowed the cable or rod to become separated from the inside handle.

Quite often we find that the release handle breaks where the cable/rod attaches, but what you will need to do is remove the door panel and do a visual inspection first, to verify this is what has occurred.

Release door latch and open door.
Lower door glass.
Open remote handle trim plug and remove screw from behind inside remote handle.
Open armrest pull cup trim plug and remove screw from inside arm rest pull cup.
Disengage push-in fasteners attaching trim to door panel around perimeter of trim panel.
Tilt trim panel outward to clear locator pins on backside of trim panel.
Disconnect trim panel from retainer channel in inner belt weatherstrip at top of door by lifting while gently jiggling.
CAUTION:Do not allow door trim panel to hang by the wire connector or wiring.

Move top of trim panel away from door, while supporting bottom trim panel.
Disconnect inside handle cable end from clip, and pull conduit end out from bracket.
Disconnect lock knob conduit end from bracket. Slide cable barrel end out from the lock knob and guide cable through slot. Ensure that lock knob cable did not get bent.
Disconnect wire connector from power door lock switch, mirror switch, power window switch, and courtesy lamp.
Remove trim panel from door.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok - so I have the side panel off.
The cable isn't broken - it seems to be stretched out or something. I can now close and latch the door properly by pulling on the cable but it doesn't always return to it's proper state - almost like it's catching on something. So if I wiggle the cable - it clicks and then shortens. When it's stuck in the extended state I can't open the closed door from inside or out.
Ok thanks. So you will need to check the other end of the cable where it attaches to the latch and see what you can find. The cable may be kinked and not sliding correctly.

In any event, the cable is not something that is sold separately so since you have identified the cable........or what it attaches to......as being the problem, you will likely need to replace the complete door latch assembly and this includes the cable.

If the latch is just sticky though, you might be able to spray some lube on all the moving parts from inside the door so you can try that first and see if it helps.

I hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience: 24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - I think I'm on my way to fixing this at least. Now the side panel is off and the door close able. the vehicle is at least usable until I get the part I need.

I noticed the lower part of the latch assembly is using some bolts which aren't standard type. They look like an 8 sided star or something. Not your typical phillips or flat. What is this?
The are called a Torx headed bolt.

The most common size for the door latches is a T30........but you can proably get a small set quite cheaply that will have a variety of sizes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That lube seemed to do the job!!! It's all back together now. Thanks for all your help!!